In-Wall speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tim Kline, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Is it safe to run generic speaker wire through my wall? it's basically going to be going straight up from the floor and out a hole in the wall, for my surround speakers.

I have been using plain Monster Cable for my speakers, is that good enough? What are the dangers, if any, of not using the right kind of wire? Can anyone recomend a good brand? I know there are different codes and stuff in different areas having to do with wiring, but what is something I can get that will be good for just about anywhere? (if it matters, I live in the burbs of Philadelphia)

I basically just wanna run wires in the walls without any problems [​IMG]

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

A lot of people on the forum use Home Depot in-wall rated wire. You can have them cut it to your exact length. I have Home Depot 14ga myself. It works fine.

4. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

What you're looking for is wire with a UL CL2 or CL3 listing which indicates that it is approved for in-wall use.

Personally I'm using a rather generic (Woods Industries) 12/2 CL2 clear jacketed wire from Lowe's. (~$110/500')

As Jay mentioned 12/2 is recommended but a lot of folks can and do get by with 14/2. I had a hard time finding 12/2 at my local HD and had to go to 2 different Lowe's before I found it on the shelf. YMMV

If you have trouble locating 12/2 locally Parts Express has pretty good pricing and I've heard good things about the quality of their wire.

5. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

If you go 12 gauge, you will not have to crawl back in "there" to upgrade later. Especially for longer runs. One advantage of getting wire from wire guys like Liberty Wire in Colorado Springs, or Genesis Cable in California is the fire rating, and also the colors you can get. Green jacket can be for volume controls to speakers, blue distributed audio to the home run, pink for home theater, etc. For identifying wire locations. When you run the wire tack it away from high volt romax to avoid static and hum.

6. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

hi . i guess i'm alte to this but try and go to this web sitehttp://knukceptz.com i used and sill onw their 12 gage twisted pair 588 strands per pair extremely and i mean extremely flexiable. if your are looking for speaker cable look no further. frank

7. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

8. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the info [​IMG] I was planning to just get what I need at Home Depot. I'm on a tight budget and also they're close by so I think what they have is gonna be the best I can get