in wall speaker wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KenJB, Jan 21, 2003.

1. KenJB

KenJB Auditioning

I'm preparing to install speaker wire for my new surround sound HT. I'll be running thru attic space and down walls. I went to www.partsexpress.com and found 100'RF regular 12 ga. speaker wire (100-155) for $29.90 and 100'RL 12 ga. in wall speaker wire (100-740) for $17.75. Why wouldn't I just go with all in wall? Is this particular wire inferior?
    Ken

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Ken,

The Carol In-Wall 100-740 12-gauge is a longtime seller here; I used a 100-ft hank for my attic run for rears. They have just dropped the price $3-4, that's all. The SoundKing (which everybody uses) is fine 12 gauge, but not in-wall fire code rated.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

also i think the inwall stuff doesn't have as fine a strand count, making it a bit more inflexible to bend. otherwise it's fine as is outdoor burial cable suitable for burial.

4. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

chu,

the normal pvc jacket install cable is NOT designed for outdoor use or in ground...

russ

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you do any inwall wiring, make sure to do it to building code using in-wall speaker wiring otherwise you could get into insurance trouble should anything happen. You don't want the regular wire to act like a fuse in the unlikely event of a fire. If you ever have further questions in this matetr, feel free to visit the Construction/Interiors area of the forum.

6. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

the building codes generally specify two types of in-wall wiring:

1. pvc jacket - used in-wall where there is no air return space...i.e. walls, floors, residential situations(usually)

2. plenum jacket - plenum rated wire will not cause toxic or noxious fumes if burned..."plenum" means "air space"...most public building use the space above a suspended ceiling as an air return...and all wiring in that space must have a plenum jacket....
    some local building codes require plenum wiring in all installations regardless of the install location...(a regulation that just adds cost to the project with no benefit)

as a side benefit, all of the install wire that i am talking about is a twisted pair construction which rejects interference better that the standard zip-cord construction that you find in normal speaker wire...this twisted pair configuration is why data cables (cat 5) do not need to be shielded...

russ

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i know russ, i was speaking about cable specifically for that purpose. didn't mean to cause confusion there.