What's new

In wall speaker wire/connector question (1 Viewer)

Sankar

Second Unit
I'm considering using the PartsExpress for the in-wall speaker wiring and had orginally thought of their 12 gauge wire all around. However, from their description, it appears that their 14 gauge wire is "superior".
So I am now wondering if I should use the 14 gauge 4 core wire instead of the 12 gauge 2 core for the mains/center ... i.e. use all 4 cores for just one channel (2 wires twisted). Any thoughts?

For the wall jack I found this Sonance 7.1 Wall Jack by pure chance! Has anyone used these?

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I have done the same thing that you are considering, only I used IXOS in-wall wire from AC4L.com. The effective gauge of twisting 2 14's together is 11, and works great IMHO. I would skip the wall jacks and just bring the wire straight through. Buy blank plates, drill holes, and use grommets for a more finished off appearance. Cheaper, simpler, and less chance for signal degradation.

-Dave

Sankar

Second Unit

Thanks! That was indeed one of my questions! I suppose I'll do that then for the mains and center. I've bought the 14-4 from PartExpress in the past and it was pretty decent wire. The surrounds can stay with 12ga.

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
What about if you twisted together 4 conductor 16 gauge into 2 conductors? What gauge would that effectively yield??

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
AFAIK, twisting two same gauge wires together creates a wire with the effective gauge of one of the originals plus 3. So 2 16's twisted would yield 13. This is probably not an exact number, but it's pretty close. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

-Dave

Sankar

Second Unit
Is the surface area of 2 16s about the same as a 13 or is it that the volume is the same (per unit length)? I recall reading somewhere that most of the audio frequencies travel along the surface ... even though 2 16ga wires may have the same volume/mass as a 13ga wire, wouldn't it be that the surface area is larger?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sankar, the reason to use larger-guage has nothing to do with wire surface area. It’s to reduce resistance. I really don’t buy that tweaky speaker cable stuff myself, but in any event I doubt it would be a factor unless you have high-end speakers costing thousands of dollars. If not, don’t sweat it.

Also, because Dolby Digital is a lossy compression scheme, you’ve already lost more of the original signal via the processing than you’ll ever loose with “incorrect” speaker wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks