What's new

in wall speaker wire advice (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I'm preparing new speaker outlets in my basement specifically for the surround. I went to Home Depot today and saw the .36c 12AWG speaker wire. I also saw the RCA 14AWG, 100ft for $25. I would like to seek advice of where and what speaker wire do you recommend if it will be placed behind drywalls? Please send the link of the store too.

Thanks.

Neil

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I did some research and found out that I should speaker wires with low resistance. So any recommended brands?

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure you use UL listed fire rated in-wall wire, not Home Depot lamp cord. Lots of companies makes all kinds of product: IXOS, Proflex and Monster cable all come to mind. Oh, and have it end into a proper low voltage mud ring instead of just poking out of the wall, it will look much better when you're done and someday (heaven forbid) if this room becomes something other than a theater room you can just throw some blank plates up.

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
Home Depot will have what you need here. Just go to the electrical box section and if your walls already have drywall get old-work low voltage single-gang boxes, if they don't have drywall yet get new-work low voltage single gang boxes. I think HD carries Carlon brand boxes, which are good. It's like a light switch box with no back half. To trim the job out the job you can get some Leviton single gang 2-port quickport plates and some quick port binding posts.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I did the same thing as DaveHo. AC4l comes highly recommended. Very fast service and good support. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't been to Home Depot yet but things you mentioned is already written in paper. I'm just not sure about their 14AWG wire if it has low resistance. It's transparent to prolly make it look expensive :) I'm just worried about the greening of the wire after some years of this type of wire.

I also saw the IXOS in-wire mentioned by the other guys in this thread. I also found wires from partexpress.com blue jeans wires.

Any recommendation about specific brand and not too cheap and not too expensive but does a good job?

Thanks.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in case you missed it, i'll reiterate the importance of making sure the wire is rated for in-wall use. (cl-3).

if you don't, and you have a fire, that speaker wire will act like a fuse-line and run the entire length of your wall. don't think the insurance guys would be too happy about that either. :)

other than that, make sure it's at least 14g, go with 12g if at all possible.

can't speak to brand preference though....

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
What about for my subwoofer? I have a spare of RG-58 or RG-59 coaxial cable, can I use this cable for my subwoofer? I'll do it myself my soldering connectors at both ends.

And thoughts guys?

Thanks,

Neil

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm pretty sure you can use any coax for your sub cable. don't know if it needs to be a specific rg rating or not though.

you don't even need to solder it. just get those coax-to-rca connectors.

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Just look on the internet for CL rated speaker wire. I found 100' of 12 awg for like $40 or $50. Usually it has a white jacket not clear.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You’ll have to make sure you have the right coaxial if you want to solder. If the shield is some kind of tin or aluminum alloy, it won’t solder.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Rutgar

Second Unit

Yes, you can use RG-58 or 59 for your sub (in wall). However, If you're pulling new wire, I would suggest you use RG-6 (Home Depot sells 100' spools for really cheap). Also, I would suggest using these connectors for going from the coax to RCA at your wall (along with their corresponding wall plates).

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1200

Greg Fullerton

Auditioning
RG-6 has a larger center conductor. Its usually 18 awg.

RG-6 is what we install regularly for subwoofer runs. It works great!

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
What is the AWG rating in RG-58 and RG-59? About the previous partsexpress link, I think, I need coax to rca male

Thanks guys,

Neil

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ronniel,

RG-58 or –59 will work fine for you sub cable. Go ahead and use what you have – there’s no reason to throw it away and buy some RG-6. For all practical purposes wire gauge is not an issue for line-level signals – unless maybe you’re talking about a run that’s several hundred feet.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks