What's new

In-wall speaker question (1 Viewer)

MichaelDa

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm installing a HT in my living room. I'm building one wall out so that I can build the TV and AV rack into the wall for a custom look. The wall will be a standard framed drywall wall with openings for the TV and rack. I will also be installing in-wall speakers into the wall, and that is where my question lies.

I don't think I'll need to drywall the backside, since it's a non-functional wall and you won't be able to see behind it anyhow... which means I can't insulate it, which should be okay since it's not a real wall anyhow. So what should I
do behind the speakers? My thought was to frame around where the speakers will be, drywall the backs, and insulate those sections only. Or would it be better to build a small insulated cabinet behind each speaker? Or should
I worry about it at all. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated! The front speakers are JBL HTI-6 loudspeakers and the center is a Niles HD-CTR.

Thanks!

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
The speakers are designed to be in an enclosed wall and will probably sound better if you go ahead and drywall the back. At least the section where the speakers are.

MichaelDa

Auditioning
What about Speakercraft Acoustacell systems, are they worth the money? Here's the description:

For truly amazing sound, mount your MT THREE or MT FOUR speakers in AcoustaCell™ sonic chambers, an exclusive innovation that solves the biggest problem with in-wall speakers — the wall! AcoutstaCell installs in the wall cavity behind the speaker. This blend of sound absorbing materials blocks sound passing through the drywall, damps drywall resonance and dissipates back waves, delivering sustainable, articulate bass into the 30Hz range where you feel it most! Dramatically deeper bass, elimination of phase cancellation and lowered sound transmission into adjacent rooms can all be assured when using AcoustaCell. Note: AcoustaCell sonic chambers are sold individually; order one for each speaker.

Link to page:
smarthome.com/9725013.HTML

Link to manual:
smarthome.com/manuals/ACOUSTACELL.PDF

Image:
smarthome.com/images/972501623sidebig.jpg

Are there similar products out there, or is Speakercraft the only one?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I don't have personal experience with the product but any type of enclosure should sound better than just mounting the speaker in the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks