In-wall speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert Hurtado, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Robert Hurtado

We're building a 2 story 5room/3bath addition to our house and I was wondering what ideas you guys might have to wire up this house. I'm plannig on installing some inwall speakers to use whenever we have a party in our house, but I'm not sure were to mount them. Can I mount them on the ceiling facing down trought the semi spiral stair way. Or how about placing them low on the stair way about 2ft above ground level.

There's a shaft that connects the top floor with the bottom floor which is about 8' wide by 12' long and as high as both stories. How can I post pictures? If the speakers face each other will they cancell out.

Are inwall speakers a good idea or should I just install brackets so I can point home stereo speakers in the direction I want them.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You want to mount some in-ceiling round single point stereo speakers. You put them in various places in the house and run both left and right sides of an amplifier into them. They look like this:

[​IMG]

There are much better quality ones than this from Parts Express if you're willing to spend the money, but for background music these should be more than sufficient. Make sure your amplification is sufficient, these take as much power to drive as a pair of bookshelves or towers.

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Whichever model you use, putting insulation behind them and to the sides will make them sound MUCH better.