in wall speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by tom dettling, Aug 15, 2003.

1. tom dettling

tom dettling Auditioning

I am updating my living room to put in a 5.1 system. More like super sizing it without going to a full blown HT. I have about $3500 to use for Atlantic in wall speakers for the front, back and ceiling surrounds. The front is 11 foot wide with a staircase on the left. The room is 20 feet long with the back 14 feet wide. I am not worried about sound into other rooms. Sound is under control thanks to this site, just a good listening experience in the living room. According to my research the front should be placed about 42 inches off the floor tweaters down. That should be high enough to get most size tv’s under the main since the viewing will be about 9 feet. My questions are as follows: geocities.com/pgm20001069/index.html

A) Will the a/c feeder (IN RED) still be a problem even though I plan to box the speaker mounting kit in rolled roofing material.
    B) Which configuration (a or b) is best for changing the room to make the fronts the back and the backs the front. Darn Those windows.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Tom.

I think this is a bit more than a "beginner's" question, and more in line with the fine folks who haunt the DIY section. Best of luck on your project.

JB

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

If the a/c system is quiet enough I don't see a problem. Choice (a) for the rears is definitely better. This appears to be 6.1 since you're showing three rear speaker positions (unless I'm looking at it wrong). Is there any way to mount the side speakers closer to the listening area? Typically in a 6.1 setup there is a single rear at the back but the side surrounds are closer in.

4. Todd Shore

Todd Shore Stunt Coordinator

How about... toeing in the corners on the back wall one frame width, thus creating a false corner, resulting in the drivers pointing more towards the listening area and away from the side walls, and then covering an area on each of the two adjacent walls with felt. This would cut down on reflections and defractions. The felt might cover one stud cavity width on each side. Use MDF to cover these three stud cavities (back wall, corner, adjacent wall). Silicon to seal the corner airtight.

Just a possibility.

5. tom dettling

tom dettling Auditioning

I am in the third year of a 5 year house remodeling project. I will be able to afford sheet rock in 4/01/04. I est that cost at 8 to 10 thousand. I am wiring for a 6.1 but am planning for 5.1. Where you see the two windows are the for rear surrounds. The center surrounds are above the listening position instead on the side walls because of the stair case of the left front.

The toe-in at the corners are a good idea for the back. Because of the doors that little loss of space is nothing.

I am most glad the the a/c vent feeder will not interfear with the speaker. That was my biggest concern.

Thanks all

6. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator