In-Wall Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Ron_Phelps, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Ron_Phelps

Ron_Phelps Stunt Coordinator

Is it really necessary to use speaker wire rated for in-wall use (cl-3) if I rewire my house and fish some speaker wire thru my walls ? What are the risks involved, really ? If my house is on fire, aren't there plenty of other things to worry about other than fumes from my speaker wires....Anyone out there know why (or if) I really need them ?? [​IMG]

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Yes, use CL2/3 rated wire to keep your insurance company happy. It's a small price to pay for a good piece of mind in the event you need to file a claim.

Partsexpress.com has a great deal on speaker wire and cables.

3. Ron_Phelps

All righty, what about the other cables I need to run - component & s-video ? I don't see any rated for in-wall use.... [​IMG]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well in those cases the voltages and currents are signficantly lower. How about you giving the local building inspection department a call and ask them the question about the in-wall speaker wire. Code is a funny thing and doesn't always have universal application but can be quite specific. For example, read this link about running wire in plenum spaces.

Even if it's not required, there are some sensible reasons why such wire is a prudent choice. The outside jacket is tougher material and is more resistant to snags such as when you're pulling the wire through. Also the two conductors inside often are twisted around each other which is beneficial in potential hum reduction. Now if you make those calls, share your replies with the group. It's always good to hear how different municipalities handle these matters.

5. Ron_Phelps

All right, I've found a good deal on some 14 ga Monster in-wall cable - any comments/criticisms I should be aware of ??
    Do I need 12 ga to run -say 50 ft max ?
    thx for your help...

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If the price suits you then fine. If you're going to agonize and lose sleep over 12 vs 14, then I think you'll find 12 gauge in-wall over at partsexpress or accessories4less. Sometimes quelling doubts is worth it.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Ron, mind sharing where you found that Monster in-wall wire?

Peace Out~[​IMG]