In-Wall Rack in furnace room?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MikeH, Jun 29, 2005.

1. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

I have the perfect spot for an in-wall component rack. Problem is the back end would be in my furnace room. Is this okay? I can deal with the increased sound but my main concern would be heat and if I am even allowed due to some code requirement. I know everyone has different codes but there might a general code applicable to every house.

Thanks,

Mike

2. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Building Codes are all over the place.....some places are strict, some don't give a hoot what you do indoors. The only thing you could do is to call your local (city?) building division and ask....just don't tell them who you are in case you don't like the answer!

Might there be a way around the trouble? I'm thinking you could build walls on both sides of your rack, then have a door in the back of it for cable access. Your system won't be in the furnace room anymore, it will be in an alcove off the main HT room. A small fan to help stir the air a bit wouldn't hurt.

3. Tim Brewers

Tim Brewers Agent

Mine is exactly like this. Since it is in the basement, it won't get too warm in there. My HVAC guy was going to put a heat register in there and I told him not to.

I plan on building the rack open in the back, and maybe set a box fan behind it on low to keep it cool. Really should be no problem. Here is a pic of my setup, I built the home myself and haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the HT yet so it is a mess.

Here is a pic from the back, from inside the mech. room.
    [​IMG]

One from door going in to theater, the opening on the left is for the media rack, the one on the right will be a door in to the mechanical room.
    [​IMG]

Another from front corner of theater.

[​IMG]

4. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Ooo, do I see room for a IB subwoofer there.....?

5. Tim Brewers

Tim Brewers Agent

I have toyed with the idea, but I am not sure where I could put it? I thought the "box" had to be completely sealed off from the business end of the sub. I hope that makes sense.

Most setups I have seen have the IB in the attic that is about 99% sealed off from the room it is serving. I don't think when the theater is done, it will be this air tight from the other rooms.

Brew