In wall rack fans...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Keith M., Aug 14, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

my theater currently under construction has a middle atlantic in-wall rack and I was interested in installing a rack fan to keep the heat build up to a minimum...

Which models are recommended? Is the 2-fan model sufficient?

2. Brad Russell

Brad Russell Stunt Coordinator

I'm also building an in -wall rack. Unfortunately don't have any answers for Keith but will jump on this post to keep the number of threads down. I hope that is ok with you Keith.

I'm planning on builing a cabinet of 3/4 or 1" MDF 2x2x4.5 feet with six shelves. Four for reciever, DVD, VCR, Sub Amp. Two for software. Anybody have suggestions on how to best isolate the rack from vibrations from the walls? (if possible?) Would it help to put a bags of sand on the lower shelves behind the software? Anybody got any great ideas on how to isolate this thing?

Thanks!

Brad

3. Brad Russell

bump

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Seems as though my thread has been hijacked!!

Anyways, Im very interested in hearing comments/suggestions from indivduals using rackmounted fan systems?

Which ones do you recommend? Are they very loud? Are they efficient for circulating air?

Thanks in advance...

5. Brad Russell

Keiyh I didn't mean to highjack the post. I just thought that since both of us had questions about in-wall racks that we could consolidate the thread. It seems though that you and I are the only ones interested in this subject.

6. william-scooter

william-scooter Stunt Coordinator

You are not the only ones... I am putting a rack in a closet that opens from both sides and my guys are putting a fan at the top to draw air through the closet and into the attic. I will get specifics on system and let you know what my "professionals" say

7. WarrenHH

WarrenHH Agent

Keith, are you using axs series racks? (Do they roll out) and second, what surrounds the back of the racks? Are they in an enclosed space?

Just curious

Warren

8. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

I can't say much about your particular situation other than to call Middle Atlantic and ask them about the specs of the fans. However, I've got a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack that is installed in an old stereo rack...it's not mounted in the wall, but here is what I did:

My amps are on the bottom, source components in the middle, and preamp on the top.

I got some 12 VDC computer fans (internet) and a 1000 mA 12VDC transformer from Radio Shack.

To hold the fans in place I bought some self stick magnets from a craft store. Two fans are mounted above the amps and two are mounted above the preamp (NOTE: the B&K Reference 50 puts out a lot of heat!) All the fans are mounted towards the rear of the rack and they blow air out. I have some vent panels installed above the amps so that air can be drawn from the front of the rack.

Since the fans were kind of noisy, I installed a rheostat (it's a device that will lower the voltage and hence slow down and quiet the fans).

I also bought a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer from Walmart for $8 or so...I did before and after measurements with different fan locations and speeds.

Hope this helps,
    Anthony

9. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

the rack is a slim 5 with all custom anodized shelving/face plates and is built into a wall that opens into the media/equipment room (open back). Im using a Denon 5803 which can get hot so I just want to circulate the air...

Im thinking of trying:
    Middle Atlantic QFP-2 3U Dual Fan Rack Mount Quiet Fan Panel

10. WarrenHH

WarrenHH Agent

Keith, sounds like that should work fine [​IMG]

11. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

BTW,

Part# Size FreeAirdB FreeAirCFM
    FAN 4-1/2" 39 dBA 95
    QFAN 4-1/2"

12. WarrenHH

WarrenHH Agent

IMHO it is, you after all are not actually trying to evacuate the air, the back of the rack is open, you just need to give the warm air some direction. The earlier mentioned rheostat idea is good too, that is more noise than most projectors [​IMG]