In-wall rack and TV mounting - newby questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by kurtZoom, Jan 31, 2005.

1. kurtZoom

kurtZoom Stunt Coordinator

We are in the planning stages of finishing our basement. The wife and I are "discussing" how the TV and A/V gear will be set up. Full built in cabinets will have to be custom made and probably expensive. Another option is a credenza set up to set the TV on top of. The third option that my wife is pushing is the built in flush mount cabinet.

What are the options for the in-wall rack systems. I've seen on-line the Middle Atlantic systems ...but adding up all the goodies like shelves, fans, doors etc. I am well into the $1800 range.

Questions are...do the wall racks need to be that sophisticated? or can they simply be built in shelves with a door? I'll have access to the back of the cabinet from the adjacent room if that helps. Any recommendations will be welcomed.

Can the TV set in a big cubby hole as well? I am considering the Sony 60"XS LCD projection set. 66" wide and 39" tall. I have a concern with ventilation. Will some fans mounted at the back help?
    What to do with the speakers? I currently have a NHT bookshelf system that I want to use so wall mount speakers are out. Will it look OK with the front speakers sitting on stands in front of a flush TV? What about the center and sub? If the center is in the cubby with the TV will the sound be negatively affected? How about the sub? ok to mount in a "cubby" as well?

FYI- Receiver will probably be Denon 3805. I will also house my current Receiver which is a 10 year old Denon AVR. Will also house a sub amp, DVD player, game, VCR (?), CD player, possibly a sat or digital cable receiver, and possibly a DVR

2. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

I'm just in the finishing stages of doing about the same project. A year ago I cut a hole in the wall the size of my TZ, and built a shelf to suit. But now we've done some major renovations, and it's given me the chance to do it again, only better. Sorry I don't have pics to share, but yes, it IS entirely workable. I'm just running a 27" flat CRT tv, but it seems to look bigger than that when it's flush to the wall. My new rack is 19" wide x 24" high, and has shelves for reciever, DVD, VCR, and room for an Xbox or some other game console. I ran CAT5, cable, phone, speaker wires, and power to the back wall of the rack. I kinda wish I had access to the rear, but it's not totally necessary -- I'm a set it & forget it kinda guy, so once it's all hooked up and shoved in and dressed, it'll be left alone until upgraditis hits.

I used some black melamine from an old desk to build my rack, and I painted everything else flat black inside. My speakers are Athena Micra6, and they look fine on the wall, even with the TV flush. I'll grab a few pics once it's done though.

Do it. It looks good, and it will sound fine. (I wouldn't put my sub in that hole though...)

3. kurtZoom

Thanks Aaron
    So did you mount your center and fronts in separate "cubbies" or with the TV? Do you have any problems with ventilation?
    Did you finish the A/V rack with a door or is it open?

I'd like to make a door for the front to protect everything from the kids. Since I have access to the back I could probably make a ventilated door out of some sort of mesh.

4. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

My speakers are pretty unobtrusive. The CC is mounted to the wall just above the TV, and the front L & R are (going to be, once things get finished) on stands. The stands are pretty simple: a base of MDF, and a piece of pipe about 30" long. Wire goes through the pipe, connects to a wall-place at 12" off the floor. Again, these speakers are very small, but sound awesome.

The cubby for my TV is actually a bit bigger than necessary. I left about 1/2" of extra height. And the shelf it sits on actually is a very odd shape -- it sits proud of the wall by about 9 inches, but is kinda kidney-shaped in plan-view, so the TV can be angled towards the viewing area a bit. This sounds very confusing to type out, but a picture would say so much. I'll try to get a shot or 2 tonight.

The equipment cabinet has no door on the front. It's about 30" off the floor, so a kid small enough to not know better wouldn't be able to reach it. My boys are 4 and 6, and they're pretty good about that -- I'm not remotely worried. I've never had a sandwich stuffed into the VCR (touch wood ;-) )

As far as ventilation is concerned, I think there's enough breathing room around everything. But once it's all installed & running, I'll keep an eye on the temp. If it seems to not breathe well enough, I've got some place to install a little computer fan or something like that. But I'm not worried -- nothing is SOOOO tight a fit that no air can circulate.

5. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

Ok, so I finally got a pic of my TV in the wall. I still have to install some of the equipment in the shelves, and mount the speakers. But this gives a decent idea anyway. It's not nearly as perpendicular to that sidewall as it looks. Hope this helps. I know, it's kinda far back. I'll try to get a more detailed shot or 2 tonight.

6. kurtZoom

thanks Aaron - looks good