What's new

In Wall or Not In Wall? (1 Viewer)

Dermot

Grip
I am building a new house and considering either wall mounted speakers or in wall speakers for just the rears.

I like the cleaner look but am afraid that if they blow or I want to upgrade the rears later that it will be a huge hassle.

Comments?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Dermot,

Have you considered using in-wall speakers, but placing them in cabinets? This should improve the sound significantly. If you build the cabinets out of MDF, you can then paint the cabinets along with the grilles to match your room color.

If you were to go the in-wall route and later had a speaker blow - - or, you decided to go with different speakers, drywall work is that that complicated. Plus, drywall materials are cheap - $6.00 for a 4'x8' sheet of wallboard and about $9.00 for 5 gallons of joint compound.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about you other guys, but speakers are the longest lasting items in my gear. Provided you spend enough to get something you will be happy with for a long time.......

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
If you build your own cabinet then speaker design comes into play. You can't just build a cabniet for an inwall speaker and end up with a good sounding speaker. If you desire an inwall speaker in a cabinet then look at Triad. Their inwall line comes as a sealed unit and they are generally considered to be among the finest inwall speakers made. Regards.

Dermot

Grip
Just to clarify - there I won't have cabinets for the rears.

They will be just either attached to the wall with brackets or in wall for aesthetics.

The cabinet will be at the front and I plan on bookshelf speakers there - probably my existing Energy Take 5's for a little while anyway.

So the question remains, in wall or attached to the wall?

What is the preference with the experts here?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks