in wall or bookshelf surrounds AND 5.1 or 6.1?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Richard Moya, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Richard Moya

Richard Moya Stunt Coordinator

Here is my dilemma. I have a room for my HT, but it has no usable side walls. So I will do what I did the last time and go with surrounds placed slightly behind and above the seating area. I was considering in wall speakers because of asthetics and WAF. I know for sure that in-wall speakers are inferior (sound quality-wise) to most inclosed speakers, but since I am only using them as surrounds would that be acceptable? I am also concerned over using them on a hollow sheet rock wall that is 12' ft high. I feel as if the sound would die in the wall. Again, I think it might not be that noticeable because they are only producing ambient sound for HT applications. Bookshelves mounted to the wall would also work, but would look awkward.
    If push came to shove I could mount bookshelves to the wall, but I am not to sure which way to go.
    Onto question 2. Should I go with 6.1 or 5.1. All the reading I have done suggests that unless I point the center rear surround to the listener in the middle, it would negate the benefits. There is no way I can point that rear center to the middle. It would require mounting to ceiling and pointing directly down.
    Knowing all this, should I just stick to 5.1
    All suggestions and comments are appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You don't really ever want to point surrounds directly at the listener; they are supposed to be diffused, so I wouldn't call it a show stopper, though in-wall speakers still don't allow you much flexibility once installed. For the rear center, you would want it behind the listening position, if possible, not directly above.

In-walls are designed for just that, so the sound will not "die" in the wall. Are you saying there are no studs to couple the speaker to?

I'm not a big fan of in-wall or in-ceiling, though it does look nicer, but a friend has a 7.1 setup with all the rears in the ceiling and it actually sounds pretty good.

3. Richard Moya

I guess the main question is whether I should use direct in wall speakers as L and R surrounds facing the screen or ceiling mounted pointed down towards the listeners. The only potential problem I see with the ceiling mount is the height. The ceilings are 12' and in the seating position, I would guess the speakers would be about 8-9' up from the listeners.Seems to me in a room this large, the surrounds would not provide the desired effect at that distance.
    Which way should I go?

Any help is appreciated as I am going to run wires this afternoon.

4. Richard Moya

Anyone?

If there is posting that refer to a similar situation please let me know. I searched but dont find anything related to this question.

thanks