In-Wall LR or In-Ceiling LCR

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin T, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'm moving my home theater to in-wall / in-ceiling speakers in order to keep my 2 channel and ht separate. i either have room for a pair of main in-wall speakers with no center or a set of in-celing lcr speakers. my ceiling is 10' high. the distance from the wall to the sitting area is about 11'. which would be most preferred for ht / multichannel sacd/dvd-a, LR in-walls or LCR in-ceilings?? rears will be in ceiling at 8' from listening position (my ceiling slopes back at the end of the room where the couch is located). thanks in advance.

kevin t

2. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I've heard a few installations where the LCR was in the ceiling, and I'm not a big proponent of them. They are OK for what they accomplish (they make the front presentation 'clean') but I think it's less than optimal.

In-ceilings are a good compromise when you can't get speakers that directly fire at you (in-wall or box). A high quality in-wall 2-channel is less of a compromise than an LCR in-ceiling.

Why not incorporate your 2-channel system into your multi-channel HT setup? What are you running in your 2-channel system?

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

mike:

my two channel system is all tube based except for the cd player. currently it is:

supratek chardonnay
    cary audio slm-200 monos
    47 labs shigaraki transport
    47 labs shigaraki dac
    gershman acoustics avant garde rx-20

it's incorporated into my ht, but i'd prefer to spare the tubes for only music listening and not for movies. thanks for the advice.

kevin t

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Kevin, what kind of budget do you have? There's lots to choose from when going in-wall.

For starters ...

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

wayne:

budget is super cheap right now. i'm probably gonna go with some hometheaterdirect or mirage in-walls. i plan on selling my home in less than a year. whenever i move into a new house, i'll probably go with thiel in-walls.

kevin t

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Kevin,

While I don't care for the current HTD boxed speakers (well, the Level 3s) - I do think you might find something in their in-wall lineup that will suit your needs. HTD is a great company to deal with. If you have time, give them a call. They'll spend time with you to ensure you are selecting the right product for your needs.

Going cheaper - e.g. eBay vendors, etc. for in-wall speakers means that you won't get any support and also, the return policy might be non-existent.