What's new

In-wall in a box? (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I've searched this topic, but most questions were centered around putting the in-wall speakers in a box inside the wall...this is a bit different.

I got the Dayton 8" in-wall for Christmas to replace my BA dipole rears. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-372

The problem is that I didn't measure my intended location before I purchased like a big dummy. They are just a touch too big to go in one spot - the area is between the wall and a door opening into the kitchen on one side (the other side is not an issue, plenty of room). I'm pretty sure there is going to be a stud in the way next to the wall, best I remember from when I ran the wires up through the wall for the current BA. My question is this: can I build a small enclosure to mount the speakers in, which will then get mounted to the wall, or is this a terrible idea? The other option is to mount them in the wall, but above the door opening. Even though the tweeters will swivel down, I'm afraid to do this because I fear it may make the sound off, with them being so high.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are going to build a "box", then make it open backed and seal it to an opening in the wall. In-wall speakers are designed to use the air space of a wall cavity. Making the box too small will cause peaks in the upper bass.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Thanks for the input, Robert. I didn't get a chance to do any "exploration" this weekend, so I'm still weighing my options as to how to go about those. Best case, I can work them into the wall with a little modification of a couple of studs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks