In wall for surround and rear?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brian Osborne, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

I'm starting my theater this weekend and I'm having second thoughts on using my existing surround speakers. What I have is a nice true dipole Technics, but they are large....14"h x 12"w x 8"d
    I had them hanging on the wall in my last setup and they got in the way a lot.

So my question...
    Does anyone have suggestions for 4 surround speakers that perform really well for the price? I'm looking at $50 - $100 per speaker. Front Speakers are Technics as well, 250w max at 6 ohm - 2x5.5" low range 2x2.75" mid range and a small tweeter. Center is the same. Onkyo 803 will be driving them all.
    I could go a bit higher on the price if I'm conviced they are worthwile.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'd recommend contacting your local Proficient Audio dealer. They make exceptional in-wall speakers in this price range.

3. Brian Osborne

Any other ideas? asside from Klipsch or Polk I can't really find quality in the middle of Iowa at retail stores.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm using Pinnacle's kevlar inwalls for my side and surrounds and they work well for that purpose. There's a few lines that I think might work for you in that budget range.

5. Brian Osborne

Any thoughts on these? I've never heard of them... Looks like a Parts Express product?
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-454
    Sorry to say that I don't know enough about how ohm ratings effect DB/watt or what a higher ohm rate means for an amp.
    The amp I'm using is Onkyo 803. It says....

Would these even be enough speaker for the 4 surrounds?

Another speaker that grabbed my attention... I was at BestBuy last night and saw HomeTech. These look pretty good for what I've got too. Any thoughts?
    Looking at the 10158
    http://www.hometechaudio.com/pages/speaker.asp

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I can personally vouch for Parts Express speakers in general, thgough I don't know about those models specifically. I'm using very inexpensive PE in-ceiling speakers over my pool table and they sound surprisingly nice. Nowhere near my Proficients elsewhere in the house, but but good enough (and they were 1/4 the price - I'll bet PE stuff at nearer the price would be comparable). Also, I've got a dual 15" IB setup using more expensive Parts Express drivers and it sounds like a million bucks.I'm not sure what "retail stores" you're going to, but usually the more dedicated in-wall companies like Proficient almost exclusively sell through installers and A/V companies. These companies will probably be glad to sell you the speakers only for your own DIY project, but don't expect a discount. You might do well to find good manufacturers of in-wall speakers (some of whom do not make box speakers, so you might not have heard of them) and do a "dealer search" on their web site. I had never heard of Proficient before the company doing the structured wiring in my house recommended them, but now that I have them in my house I love them! [​IMG]

BTW when you're done the installation looks extremely slick and custom. If you get good speakers nothing is a "cool" as in-wall and in-ceiling stuff. So much more attractive than big boxes. Those PE speakers you've linked to look like they'd probably be perfect for your application.

Are you planning on putting them on walls or on the ceiling? If so, you should know that aesthetically rectangular speakers generally look awkward on ceilings and round speakers generally look awkward on walls. The difference between "ceiling" and "wall" mount speakers is nothing but a preference in shape.

And definitely go with Parts Express in-wall rated speaker wire!!!!!