In-wall DVD rack

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Poehlman, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted anything related to my basement project. That's mostly because the work has been at a standstill for the past few months.

But, today, I managed to scrape together a few hours and roughed in my in-wall DVD rack. I know it's not much... but, I'm excited to see something getting done. (plus, I wanted to try out my new digital camera. [​IMG] )

Here's a couple of pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since a standard 4" wall is too narrow for DVD's... I had to build a "double wide". I had to enclose that support pole anyway.. so, I figured this was a good spot for the rack. I left my "Matrix" DVD in there for scale. [​IMG]

According to my calculations, it should hold 200 DVD's.

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Dave, if you had of just posted those pics two years ago when I was building my house, that would have been nice, I wonder if my wife would mind me tearing out the drywall in our stairway closet? That is going to be a super nice place to store DVD's or CD's for that matter.

3. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

Dave, I did almost the exact same thing when I finished my basement, but instead of the dvd rack, I put my equipment cabinet in that spot, open in the back so I could get to it from inside the closet. It looks like your basement stairs cut your room in half just like mine. I wish I had the foresight to move the stairs when my house was being built. At the time, I hadn't even thought about how I would finish the basement. I could have had a much bigger theater room. Instead, I ended up with two smaller rooms.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I thought about that.. but the equipment would be in an odd place. (over the left shoulder).

But, now that you mention equipment.. I'm not really sure where I'm going to put mine... I actually have a small closet to the front left that doesnt really have a back on it because the furnace is in the way... so, I wonder if I should forgo the closet and turn it into an equipment rack.

hmmm....

I guess I'll have to see if I can fit in between the furnace and the wall to get back there....

5. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

For me, the equipment is in the front and to the right. I guess our screens/ displays are on opposite walls. If the sheetrock isn't up yet, you can always run the wires in the walls...

6. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Cool Dave. I did a similar thing. If you want to see the final result take a loot at my HT pics below. You will love it when it's done!

Don

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Don, I really enjoyed looking at your theater. Nice job. I wish I had the room to do something more dedicated.

For practicality reasons, we're going for a more sports-bar/av room type feel.

Does anyone know the dimensions of blu-ray and hd-dvd cases? I was just wondering how they'll fit into this rack.

8. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

Nice looking job Dave. I'm in the process of making a dvd racks in my wall also. I'm hoping to install it behind my acoustic panels. Just havent figured out how to hinge the panels. Make sure to post pics of the finished rack.

9. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
  10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Will do... I just have a couple drain pipes to figure out how to frame around. It's going to take some head-scratching and possibly some swearing to get it done... and then I can start looking into electrical.

Nice job, btw drobbins.

11. Bud Huey

Bud Huey Stunt Coordinator

Good luck with your project! If you have not already read it I HIGHLY recommend reading the "Things I wish I had done differently..." thread in the DIY section. There are some really good suggestions in there. Most of them are easy to do before the sheetrock goes up.

Good Luck,
    Bud