What's new

In-wall DIY Speakers? (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member

Yes as built Maggies are dipoles, but so is any open back 'raw' dynamic driver. There's certainly no reason Maggies can't be 'converted' to monopole by mounting them in a sealed stud bay that contains some damping material. I believe that Martin Logan offers one of their ESL panels for in-wall mounting, or atleast they used to sell one and it's of course dipole....

B&G markets a planar kit target built for in-wall mounting. But it's just a variation of their freestanding dipole with some added midwoofers. Their raw planar driver is a push-pull element dipole similar to a Maggie. But not only are they more expensive, the top end and bottom performance isn't as good as that from Maggies.

Steve

Magnepan has recently come out with a even smaller design that's supposed to be hinge mounted on the wall, and swung out when being used. These are even less expensive than the MMG's but have even less bottom end response. They might be a consideration for the 'side' speakers

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI, but Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio told me that the KIT51's could be built as in-walls without any modifications.

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
How about that.

I wonder what running them as monopoles does to the response. Have you heard them in that type of configuration? I'm asking because I have a couple of clients that are building houses.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
There should be very little change in the FR plot, if the rear wave is properly damped.

Decades ago I used to be a Maggie dealer. I've used them for dozens of pretty weird applications. This includes large PA arrays where multiple panels/side were strung together with heavy nylon webbing and hung like a sails. People in the audience wandered around looking up wondering where the sound was coming from, it was really a trip.......What's interesting is now there's a company making PA arrays from big arrays made from little planars that are similar to the B&G Neo 8s.

That being said no I have not used them as monopoles. But I have no doubt that they will work, given my experience with the B&G planars.

With the 30 day trial I think it's worth Dennis' or anyone elses time to give them a try. They should be the easiest to install, lowest cost, high-end in-wall available. One should just be slightly careful not to warp/torque the panels since literally they're 3/4" MDF

Frankly, I'm sold. I hope none of you work for Magnepan. :)

I managed to get hold of my audiophile buddy today, and he said that in-wall speakers would be fine for my application, but I might want to build some sort of half-cylindrical pivoting mount so I can spin them out in the right direction so I can get proper imaging. I see that some of the Maggies have that option built-in.

I mentioned that someone here said that I should look into the Magnepans, and he said he loves them but they're too rich for his blood. (He's a poor Masters student who DIYs everything.) Considering the cost of my time I don't have to spend in construction, they're practically far enough under my price range I shouldn't even consider them. :)

Since it seems I won't be DIYing my speakers after all, I'm content to let this thread die, and I'll resurrect it in the "Speakers and Subwoofers" forum if I have any more questions about them.

I'll probably start a new thread here when I start putting together my IB subs to go with the Maggies, OTOH, so be forewarned. :)

Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions. I may not be a frequent poster here, but rest assured I'm an avid reader of all the advice you guys have to give!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks