What's new

In-Wall Component Cabinet (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
In planning for my dedicated HT, I want to go with an in-wall unit to house my receiver, dvd player(s), ld player and eventually HD decoder/antenna. I was wondering about pricing for factory-made units. Anyone have such a set-up in their HT or do most members go the DIY route? Links to websites would be welcome in addition to advice.

Thanx in advance!

D

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
I went the DIY route when I relocated my gear into an existing closet. My HT is in my living room and I wanted to hide what I could but still maintain easy access to the receiver, DVD player and VCR. This is what I came up with:

[url=http://www.duke.edu/~kme4/ht/gear_thumb.jpg] [/url]

Hidden inside the closet are a TiVo, an HD cable box, X-10 controller, component video switcher, wireless access point + switch, amp for my SVS sub, and an HTPC for recording HDTV. I use a Xirtech IR distribution system for controlling the hidden components.

Jason D.

Agent
I went with a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 unit. You can find out more about them at their website: www.middleatlantic.com or I purchased mine from this company: http://www.markertek.com/

They are fairly expensive IMO, but the look they provide is hands down unbeatable (again in my opinion). What get's expensive are the custom shelving for components ~$125/a shelf. Yes there are much cheaper shelves for the racks, but if you want it to look professional this is the way to go. Keep in mind you may only need one or two custom shelves depending on the size of your components....for example, many amps other assocories (line conditioners, etc.) come in rack space (1.75") or multiples thereof so no custom shelving is required to make it look clean.

I am still framing, but you can see my Slim 5 in my HT construction pictures below. Good luck.

-Jason

rickcl

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Clink
Hey Robert. Could you possibly post or e-mail more pictures of your in-wall installation?
Your setup is exactly what I what to do also. I can't send a PM on this forum I guess I am too new. I hope this makes it to you.

Thanks Rick Clink
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks