What's new

*In-wall/ceiling surround speaker placement* (1 Viewer)

Brent

Auditioning
Hey guys,

Its been a few years since I've posted here. I purchased my audio system back then and never looked back since. Well, I'm married now and have found myself in the last stages of building a house. I'm still using my Paradigm References speakers but replaced my Pioneer Elite THX(1997)Receiver with a Denon 3802 and upgraded to a Sony DVD player.

Ok, Heres my deal. Today I bought 4 in-wall/ceiling Paradigm CS-160's for my surrounds. 2 rear and 2 side surrounds. I have a 21x17 with 10ft ceiling Living room. The main seating position from my back wall is about 8-9ft. Now I'm limited on how low I can mount my surrounds due to the living room jointing in with my 8ft ceiling (vaulted ceiling in the center) dining room. So where my living room joints into the hall way and dining room is a 2ft and inches ledge...10ft living - 8ft dining/hall way = 2ft. The 2ft ledge is of course not all the way around my living room, just partially to the back left of my living room but will still limit with surround placement.

How and where should I place my surrounds? Rear surrounds in the back wall and side surrounds up in the ceiling slightly in front/rear of main seating position? Or maybe go-a-head and place the side surrounds in the wall to even though they will be about 6ft about my head when sitting?
HELP!

Brent

Auditioning
I'm installing these this afternoon.......you guys do have a home theater right? :D

Brent

Auditioning
Ok then......I've heard that I need to angle my back surrounds toward the listener other wise the back surrounds will reflect of the monitor (TV) if not angled causing the sense of movement not so sharp. Well, I can't angle in-wall speakers........so should I just mount all 4 in the ceiling? Come on guys help a fellow out. ;)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Brent,
Here's the hard part. Most people will suggest that you try different positions to determine what sounds best to YOU. But since you don't have that luxury :) this is what I would do. I would place the in-walls slightly behind the listening position and about 2feet higher than head height for the "side" surrounds. Then place the in ceilings a tad further back in the room but centered. Kinda like this...
[c] [/c]
I'm not really the best guy at making pictures but I hope you see what I'm suggesting. Best of luck on however you decide.
Regards,
Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks