in wall cables

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JoseLH, Feb 13, 2006.

1. JoseLH

JoseLH Agent

Hi everyone. Quick cable question. I'm having a new home built starting in May or June and I'd like to have my Speaker and Component video, S-video cables run through wall so that I can hide the av rack in a closet. Question is, what's a good cable to use? I'm going to talk with a few HT installers Thursday and I'd like to go in prepared. What do I need? Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Are you asking brand, or type?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

My answer would be conduit rather than wire. This would give you more options in the future. Run speaker wire for sure but you never know what is coming down the pike. Conduit with wire pulls set to go would give you lots of options.
    You may want to ask on the custom installers forum over at remote central. Those guys are pros and may have some thoughts on what you'll need.
    http://www.remotecentral.com/

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jose.

The broadcast studios use either Belden or Canare or Mogami coax. This stuff comes in spools in 100, 300 or 1,000 ft lengths so it's hard to just go get some.

If you have real HT installers, they should be able to get this stuff for you. If not - order the cables from www.bluejeans.com

For in-wall speaker wire, many areas require in-wall rated wires. (CL3 rating) You can buy some spools of 12ga speaker wire by Carol, or runs of 4-conductor 14 ga wire. (Many high-end installs use this).

Make sure to run 3 sets of speaker wires to the front and 3 sets of wires to the back. Run ordinary CATV coax to any corner where you would install a external subwoofer.

Make sure they pull enough wire to create a un-broken run between the equipment and speakers. You can always cut the wires off later and install a face-plate with binding posts. But pulling the extra speaker wire now only costs a few bucks more and gives you the option to cut it back later.

Oh - make sure they run a Telephone line to the equipment closet. Many Sat and CATV box's require this.

DVI-HDMI: If the HT installer offers this, have him run a HDMI cable. The next big thing will be blue-ray DVD players that offer HD video on a DVD. But it has been announced that you must have a HDMI connection to take advantage of the up-converted signals (because of the built-in copy protection).

Jim had a great idea: Conduit to hold everything with a fish-roap to pull more wires later.

Hope this helps.

5. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

I would recomend you have Belden 1280p installed along with 2 cat 5e cables. the Belden cable has 6 mini coax cables that can be used for whatever your installation may need. i normally use it for component video, composite video, and a standard RF/Ant feed. The cat5 cables could be used for S-Vid, analoge audio, or even HDMI. You can use Cat5 for just about anything these days with different adapters.

When prewiring your house, the best thing to do is to have many options availble to you, with out running new wire. that set up will allow you that.

6. JoseLH

JoseLH Agent

thanks for the info everyone! One last thing, where can I get custom wall plates to have all these hookups in one?

7. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

i use ICC products. if you plan on doing this yourself, you may have to purchase the proper tools.

check out ICC dot com. [​IMG]

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dont.

Every break in the wires is a potential source of problems. While not a big deal for speaker wires, it can be deadly for video signals. Make all your video wires un-broken. (Unless done properly - the break will cause an impedence mismatch which will act like a speed-bump.

You must also remember: speaker wires are POWER wires. Video wires are INTERCONNECTS. You want to keep them apart. (separate runs and separate end-points).

There IS a way to create a "patch-panel" for your video signals. The trick is to have the patch panel use either "F" style connectors or "BNC" connectors like the professional gear uses. The down-side is then you must have a custom cable to run from the wall to your equipment (RCA or SVideo on one side, BNC on the other). Places like www.bluejeanscables.com will make these cables for you for no extra charge.

Talk to your "HT Installers" about what they have done in this area.

Here are some links to binding posts for your speaker wires.

Crutchfield Cables to Go