In-wall cable for A/V distribution

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Quick question. What do I use to pre-wire my house for A/V? I plan to just run a bunch a bunch of cable for stereo and composite video from one central location to most of the rooms. Is RG6 good for this or do I need something else? Does it need to be quad shielded? Any suggestions on where to buy it?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

There is a product called "Smart Home" cable from CoastCom. It has dual RG6 - quad shielded cables, and dual Catagory 5 computer networking cables.
    Belden has a similar product. www.belden.com . Select "Home Automation" on the cable finder page.
    For whole-house distribution, places like Channel Plus sell modulators so you use a single coax for audio/video distribution: www.channelplus.com
    You might also check out the "building a Home Theater area" for other suggestions.
    Good Luck.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Thanks Bob. I took a look in the other forum and found some helpful info. That bundled stuff is nice, but a bit pricey. I'll probably just buy some RG6 from Home Depot and get some good speaker wire from somewhere else and have at it. I'm afraid the modulators might drop the sound quality a bit, however if I don't do enough coax runs its good to know that there are options.