In theory??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielM, Aug 4, 2002.

1. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

Ok I know I can test this and look for myself BUT I am curious For a theoretical answer....
    I have a hughes e86 hd stb hooked up to a sharp 55" hi def
    monitor via component cables..I have directv and an antenna for ota hidef.....
    now the e86 when using component cables outputs everything at 1080i so my tv`s line doubling and view modes are bypassed...now IF I were to hook up the e86 with an s-video cable which would output 480i I would be able to use the tv to select 540p or 1080i and to use the tv`s size functions...so in theory which is going to provide the better picture???

2. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    You are talking about 480i sources, right?

Of course 1080i hi-def sources would be much worse, you'll get 1080i downconverted to 480i and upconverted back to 1080i, losing the vast majority of the resolution in the process.

With 480i sources it depends on which box does better at upconverting, the e86 or the TV.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Daniel,
    I have the Hughes mfg. Toshiba box, essentially the same stb as the e86 with the same display options. It's connected to a Sony KP57HW40 widescreen set.

I have connected it with both the component cables and S-video.

In my case, 480i stuff looks noticeabley better run natively out of the box via S-video and doubled and stretched by the tv. The box's upconversion of 480i to 1080i is smooth, but noticeably less sharp than letting the set do the work.
    This difference is much more noticeable on the poorer quality satellite channels.

Switching output mode and aspect ratio modes on the box and inputs on the tv is somewhat annoying, so I must admit that for most casual viewing I just leave the box on 1080i output.

HD material of course looks better output by the box at 1080i via component video.