In the novel “Cold Mountain”, Inman carries a “Lamatz”(?) gun. Was this a real gun?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Pine, Aug 2, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I’m listening to an unabridged version of this novel while I drive to work and I would love to see a picture of this oddity. In the book it’s described as a combo gun, half pistol, half scatter gun. Did it actually exist? Could someone help me with the spelling? I searched the spelling above and “Lematz” with no success. I know the "well rounded" guys at HTF will be able to help me out!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The name of the weapon was the "Le Mat", designed by french born Doctor Jean Alexander Francois Le Mat from New Orleans. It was a percussion cap and ball revolver with a shotgun barrel underneath the rifled ball barrel. The .40 caliber cylinder revolved around the .63 caliber shotgun barrel. After creating the revolver in New Orleans, Le Mat moved to France to set up manufacturing at the outbreak of the Civil War. Unfortunately, France production was not up to the task and whole lots of pistols were rejected for inferior workmanship. Le Mat eventually moved production to Great Britain and Belgium. As many as 3000 made their way to the southern troops.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Once I got the spelling right (thx to Jeff) I found this link easily. Visually, it's not the quite the beast I expected. But, I'm sure it packed a wallop.

http://www.mmcwrt.org/2001/default0108.htm

Jeff, did you research that for me or did you just happen to know all that off the top of your head?

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I knew most of it (name, caliber, mechanical layout), but had to research it to find the specifics. Civil War weapons are a hobby of mine dating back to my early youth. My dad bought me a Dixie Gunworks parchment poster of all major Civil War firearms when I was 11. It hung on my bedroom wall for years. I've actually seen a Le Mat, they have (or had, this was a while ago) one at the outstanding military firearms exibit at the Heritage Plantation in Sandwich MA.

Anyone interested in military firearms or classic automobiles should give this museum a chance. It is outstanding:

Link to Heritage Plantation

5. John Pine

John Pine
    I knew the HTF guys would not let me down!

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Try this forum:
    http://p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscu...firearmsforums
    It mostly specializes in "curio & relic" firearms (i.e. from 1898-1950's) but also has some areas for "antique" (i.e. pre 1898) firearms). Someone there probably owns a Le Mat in firing condition.....

7. John Pine

John Pine
    Good link! Thanks, Dennis I'll check it out!