What's new

In the Mood for Love: Criterion Collection DVD (1 Viewer)

Tim RH

Second Unit
In the Mood for Love slated for Spring 2002!
Criterion will be releasing Wong Kar-wai's critically-acclaimed In the Mood for Love (2000) in the Spring of 2002. The double-disc set will feature a new, 16x9-enhanced digital transfer of the film as well as a host of special features. Look for complete information on this release in the coming weeks at www.criterionco.com
======
I apologize if this has been posted already.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see a recent film come to the Criterion Collection.

I hope Criterion releases more films from the 90's and later.

Tim RH

Second Unit
One of 2000's best films (according to Roger Ebert) - GEORGE WASHINGTON - will also be a CC DVD in 2002.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm not familiar with In the Mood for Love, can you give me a plot synopsis? :)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Wow! First Lagaan was officially announced and now In the Mood for Love! Could this day get any better?

This is a terrific film, and definately deserves to be part of the Criterion collection.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
This is terrific.

I was thinking about getting the Region 2 disc for my DVD-rom as my player isn't multi-region but now I think I'll hold off.

I wonder if they'll include the commentary from the Region 2 disc.

I'm thrilled to see Criterion doing a Wong Kar-Wei film. Hopefully they might do more of his films in the future. I heard he was doing a new cut of Ashes of Time, I'd love to see Criterion put it out.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This is the best news I've heard in a long time. I hope Criterion can release some more Wong Kar Wai films. The French DVD of this is incredible. If the Criterion is half as good, I will be extremely happy.

If only they could get ASHES OF TIME, DAYS OF BEING WILD, AS TEARS GO BY, CHUNGKING EXPRESS, FALLEN ANGELS, and HAPPY TOGETHER. I would buy a box set of these.

IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE is a drama set in 1960's Hong Kong. The movie centers on the relationship between Mr. Chow (Tony Leung) and Mrs. Chan (Maggie Chueng). Mr. Chow and his wife live in an apartment next door to Mrs. Chan and her husband. Mrs. Chan's husband is frequently away on business, and Mr. Chow's wife always works late. Through the course of the movie, Mrs. Chan and Mr. Chow develop a friendship. They suspect that their spouses are together and it gives them an awkward bond.

Matt

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Oh dammit! I got the French Limited Edition, and since I am - unforunately - a Criterion Collector, I'm gonna have to buy this one anyway... - hehe, that's 3 versions of the movie that I will have on DVD by then... . Yeehaw!
Sebastian. :)
---
Yes, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE was the best movie of 2000!

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Sebastian -

I feel the same way! It will be my third DVD of this movie, also. At least I didn't get the version that just came out in England. It's supposed to be the same as the French release, anyway.

I hope the Criterion is as good as the French DVD. I think that DVD is the best one I own. It amazing all the care that went into it. For a smaller movie, the DVD itself rivals the features of The Phantom Menace or the T2:UE. It even has an option to hear the music from the movie with a menu setup like and old radio.

Matt

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Not only do I get to avaoid paying for the R2 version, I get to once again delay my purchase of a region free player! ;)
This is the best news I've heard all week. Which, when you think of it, is really kind of sad.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes! I'll finally be able to own a DVD of In the Mood For Love for only $75!!!

Mark
I do hope you are joking about that price. You do realize, that you can get the super 2 disk special edition (R2) from cinestore.com for around $23 + shipping?

Unless we are talking about MGM DVDs, you are not saving any money by buying from R1 instead of R2 (France). When you subtract the 18.5% VAT (which cinestore does on checkout) and convert from Euros into US Dollars, R2 prices are either the same or cheaper than R1.

Ted

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I do hope you are joking about that price. You do realize, that you can get the super 2 disk special edition (R2) from cinestore.com for around $23 + shipping?
No joke, Ted!

$75 is indeed the Canadian retail price of most Criterion 2-disc DVDs...not to mention the additional 15% tax above that!

Criterion doesn't like Canadians!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Yep,
Criterion sure likes to stick it to us Canadians.
With the exception of Chasing Amy and Gimme Shelter, Criterions usually range from $50 (barebone discs) to $80 CDN.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe Criterion has a seperate distributor in Canada that hikes the price. By my estimate, Criterion discs SRP at around $60-65 Canadian anyway

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I believe Criterion has a seperate distributor in Canada that hikes the price. By my estimate, Criterion discs SRP at around $60-65 Canadian anyway
True, but many U.S. retailers will sell the Criterion discs below SRP, not so in Canada.
By comparison:
$19-24.99US Fox DVDs retail in Canada for $19-24.99CND
$19-24.99US Anchor Bays retail for $24-28.99CND
$24-29.99US Universal/Paramounts retail for $29-36.99CND
$13.99US MGMs retail for $15-17CND
$14.99US Warners retail for $17-19CND
$24.95US Disneys retail for $24.99CND
but...
$29-49.99US Criterions retail for $50-80CND
In the U.S. Criterions SRPs are $10-30 more expensive than the other studios.
In Canada, they are $30-60 more expensive than the others!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks