In the market for a new mattress. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Reagan, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

The wife and I are looking to buy a new, queen-size mattress. She wants one with the "pillow-top". I think our absolute price ceiling would be around $8-900.
    Recommendations sincerely appreciated ! [​IMG]
    Thos.

2. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I just got a King Coil two nights ago (dial a mattress, about $400, queen sized). It's very very nice!

-Max

3. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

My wife and I bought a Sealy "Crown Jewel" California King. It's definitly a luxury bed at $1500 but you could probably get the Queen for a little over a grand. It's bar none the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

4. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Here is some advice for getting a good deal on a Sealy mattress (which I highly recommend).

My wife and I needed a new mattress. I did some online searching and found out that, although each mattress store has different names for each mattress in the Sealy line, there is really one Sealy line. They just have different names for each piece in the line for each store. For example one store may call the 500 coil, pillow top model, the "swan" and another store will call it the "duck". They have different names, but they are really the same mattress. I think they do this to make it really hard to price match for the average joe.

Knowing this, go to your local store and find the Sealy mattress you like. This means laying on them, turing around, snuggling with your mate, everything short of lovemaking to make sure you are getting the most comfortable mattress. Find out the specs on that mattress (coil count, thread count, pillow top or not, etc...). Then go online and find the best price you can for that model. Note how much it would cost to ship it (most places ship mattresses for free), and find out if they have any promotions to boot (free rail, pillow, etc...).

Print out the offer and take it to your local Mattress Firm. We found out that they were owned by Sealy and they meet any price. I had done some research and found the model we wanted online for significantly less than the other local retailers. The guy at Mattress Firm matched it with no question. He even calculated how much we would save in tax by ordering it online and took it off the price of the mattress so that I would be paying exactly the same as if I had ordered it online. Plus I dont have to deal with "online anxiety". I know that Mattress Firm is a legit company.

I cant guarantee that this is how you will be received, but this is my experience...

Good Luck!

-ikiru