In the market for a lower budget HT

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Eugene Viti, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Eugene Viti

Eugene Viti Auditioning

I was looking at purchasing a Yamaha RX-V740 A/V receiver and the Klipsch Cinema 10 Home Theater system speakers. Is that a good move on my part, or should I look for something else. My budget would be @ $ 2,000.00

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

From the reviews I've read on the Klipsch cinema series, there is a nearly universal agreement that the Klipsch subwoofer isn't very good. See if you can buy the satellites seperately from the subwoofer.

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

In that budget range there are a lot of great speakers and electronics.

Best thing to do is to get out and listen to a lot of stuff and let your ears judge.

4. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

Eugene,

I second what Curtis recommended. With a $2000 budget, you have so many potential permutations of speakers and receivers that the best thing you can do is to go listen to a lot of different setups to narrow down what kind of sound you are looking for.

Maybe after you've narrowed down what types of speakers you like and what you hope to use the speakers for (some music and some HT or primarily HT, etc.), people on the forum might be able to help you out a little more.

Victor

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Listening and comparing is your best bet, but once you find a few mainstream brands and models you like come back to the forum and let us suggest some internet direct brands that will sound similar (usually better) and offer much more bang-for-your-buck.

An off-the-cuff example of what you could put together online would be:

Yamaha 1400 receiver - $538 (6ave)
    Swans Diva 2.1 mains - $380 (theaudioinsider)
    Swans Diva 2.1 surrounds - $380 (theaudioinsider)
    Swans Diva C3 Center - $330 (theaudioinsider)
    Adire Rava Subwoofer - $400 (adire)

Total - $2030 before shipping... a little over, but just an example of how much you can really get for the budget you're looking at.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

First of all, I wouldn't call $2000.00 for an AVR and speakers a low budget system. As stated, there are a lot of good systems that can be had in that price range.

My advice is to listen to a system that you can't afford now. Say in the $3000.00 to $5000.00 range. If you hear a system you know you will eventually want, then consider making your purchsae on the assumption that you will be upgrading in the near future. Try to buy one of the componet of the more expensive system. Maybe spend more on the subs now and purchase cheaper speakers and AVR and then when it's time to upgrade buy better speakers in one or two upgrade cycles and then a better AVR on the last upgrade. This saves you from having to save up the whole $4000.00 or so to upgrade your complete system. Of course, make sure that system you buy now will provide you with adequate sound until it's time to upgrade. And you got to be practical, there's always something out there that sounds better and cost more than you can ever afford.