What's new

In The Heights (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Andrea Burns (Daniela), Janet Dacal (Carla) and Karen Olivo (Vanessa), who were all in the original Broadway company of In the Heights, are having a virtual reunion right now on Stars in the House.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Director Jon M. Chu talked to EW about the decision to delay the film until next year so it can play theatrically:

"There was a vigorous debate about release dates of course," said Chu, whose previous directing credits include Crazy Rich Asians and Step Up 3D. "But in a weird way we were all on the same page when deciding [whether] this is an opportunity to stream this movie. At the end of the day, everyone who knows our movie or has seen our movie knows that it feels like it needs to be on the big screen. Many movies don’t have to be, but there’s a spirit about this one, a scope about this one, that I think we all believed in. So, there wasn't a fight between should we stream this or put this in the theatre. Everyone knew it was one we wanted to protect and make sure it got on the big screen. It is a very special movie, no doubt. To work with Quiara (Alegría Hudes), who wrote it, and Lin, obviously — the legend, the icon, Lin-Manuel Miranda. And for him to invite us into his hometown, Washington Heights, to introduce us to his neighbors, to the people he grew up with, to this area that he wrote these songs about, they’d never even performed these songs on the streets it was written about, that was really special."

More at the link: https://ew.com/movies/in-the-heights-jon-m-chu-release-date-change/

In slightly related news, Disney announced today that next summer's Pixar film currently scheduled to open the same day as In the Heights is called "Luca." If it had opened this summer as originally planned, In the Heights would have opened opposite the Top Gun sequel. We'll see how that all shakes out.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
... but there’s a spirit about this one, a scope about this one, that I think we all believed in. ... Everyone knew it was one we wanted to protect and make sure it got on the big screen. It is a very special movie, no doubt.
Sounds like every director about every film they've ever made. Ever.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's not about the movie, but for anyone interested, PBS is re-airing a documentary from 2009 or so called "In the Heights: Chasing Broadway Dreams" about the development original Broadway production. It is being aired under the Great Performances banner and is supposed to begin tonight. However, my local PBS isn't airing it until next Saturday, so times and dates may vary depending on where you are.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's now showing as debuting on HBO Max on June 18th, so it looks like Warner Bros. really is sticking with that date.

I'm excited to see it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more with an audience.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's now showing as debuting on HBO Max on June 18th, so it looks like Warner Bros. really is sticking with that date.

I know Jon M. Chu is not happy about this. Lin-Manuel Miranda has not made a statement about it either, but I would imagine he's probably not happy either. The whole reason they wanted to delay the film a year was for it to be a big theatrical release. I don't know what kind of sway they have with Warner Bros., but I do think they probably have to work out new deals if WB intends to keep it streaming. Presumably WB would like Chu to come back to direct the Crazy Rich Asians sequels, so he is probably a filmmaker they want to keep happy. We'll see what happens. I would not be at all surprised if at least some of the films currently scheduled for HBO Max end up having plans change.

That being said, if it comes out in June I would certainly watch it at home. I don't know that I will feel comfortable attending a theater at that time. If I'm not, I'll miss the big screen experience for this. On the one hand, I'll be happy to see it without a wait, but on the other, I would almost be fine with another delay if it meant we can actually see this in a theater safely post-pandemic. Even if I do watch it on HBO Max, I think the way WB went around the talent's back to announce this is terrible business and they need to rectify those relationships.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's a surprise. Not one but two new trailers today.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Lin-Manuel Miranda and Quiara Alegría Hudes have written a new book with Jeremy McCarter about the creative process behind making In the Heights for stage and screen. McCarter was also the coauthor of the Hamilton behind-the-scenes book with Miranda. The new book arrives June 22 which is just after the release of the film.

It is currently available for pre-order on Amazon and for some reason their algorithm has placed it as the #1 bestseller in the "Mystery Writing Reference" category, which makes no sense.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In the Heights is moving up its release by a week to June 11.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon just sent em an email regarding the In the Heights: Finding Home book I mentioned in post #70 above. It now has a new release date of June 15 instead of June 22. I expect it has been moved up in order to release closer to the film now that the film has also been pushed up. By moving its date up, the book will still release on the Tuesday after the film's Friday release.

No word yet on pre-orders for the soundtrack, but there has to be one so details about that should be following sooner rather than later. The release of the movie is only 76 days away.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Lin-Manuel Miranda tweeted an announcement about the movie soundtrack:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is the TV spot, including some new material, that was shown during the Oscars on ABC.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those of you who are comfortable attending movie theaters right now, WB is holding one-showtime free sneak previews on Sunday, May 9. Advance tickets required and limited. Good luck. Information about these screenings should pop up when you load their website linked below.

Also, here is a new trailer spotlighting the big musical number "96,000."

The audio of "96,000" has now become the second track from the movie soundtrack to be released In advance of the complete album release on June 11 and you can now get that wherever you stream music.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is an old find, but YouTube recommended me this video of the original Broadway cast album being recorded back in 2008.

I can't wait to see how this show has been adapted for cinema and what the new cast brings to their roles. But this video is a reminder of how perfect the original cast was. It is not often that you get a group like that. So while I have no doubt that the film is going to be wonderful on its own merits, it also has a high bar to reach.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A bunch of new character posters:

Heights 1.jpg
Heights 2.jpg
Heights 3.jpg
Heights 4.jpg
Heights 5.jpg
Heights 6.jpg
Heights 7.jpg
Heights 8.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This is already available on HBO Max. I plan to watch it tonight. Been listening to the soundtrack on Apple Music in the new Dolby Atmos spatial sound mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks