1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

In the Heat of the night

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John*Wells, Oct 23, 2019.

1. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    I am enjoying re watching In the Heat of the Night on Amazon Prime. I have also searched Amazon for the TGG Direct season sets. I am assuming most of them are out of print. Is MGM going to license them for dvd again?

2. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I have no idea. But if they were to be released again, I'd hope it would be on Blu. It's a fantastic show that provides me with almost endless rewatchability. Between the great real-life southern setting (filmed in Georgia, not Mississippi - but still the Deep South); the use of locals to add authentic accents and mannerisms; the lack of fake-looking sound stage settings; the solid mystery and crime drama storylines; and the consistent supporting cast, makes In the Heat of the Night one of my favorite shows of all time.

Gary "glad I got the TGG sets when they were available - but even then some episodes were left off those sets due to 'music rights' and I had to make do with a few homemade discs recorded off TV" O.

Professor Echo and Ron1973 like this.
  3. Message #3 of 9 Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    I would also hope for a Blu release. I actually am nearing the end of my tv collection on dvd and Blu. It’s hard to Believe I watched 50 tv series’ growing up. In the heat of the night is a southern crown jewel

Gary OS and bmasters9 like this.
  4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    And what a great actor Carroll O'Connor is. He went from being the crotchety bigot Archie Bunker to being a police chief. I often wonder what Gilligan's Island would have been like had he taken the role of The Skipper.

Gary OS likes this.
  5. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I bought the DVDs, wound up using the Comcast on demand versions of the episodes to fill in the run.

They were uncut, surprisingly enough, just had to bounce 'em onto a DVD-R and then to the trusty old computer.

Gary OS likes this.
  6. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Thanks for creating this thread. I have never seen the ITHOTN TV series, just the film. However, I have always wanted to see the show - but just never had time.

Never liked AITF, despite growing up with the show. However, the COC character in this series seems like a completely different character - so, I may check this out at some point.

7. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Glad to hear you are interested, Jim. The TV show was a really good one, running for 7 years + four TV movies that compromised an 8th season. It was filmed almost exclusively in a small town in Georgia (after a short first season) and therefore reeked of a genuine police department in a deep south small city. It took the show a couple of years to find it's footing, but by the beginning of the 3rd season it was off and running like a well-oiled machine (and I mean that in every good way possible). There were nice touches of continuity throughout, and especially once it entered the 3rd season.

Carroll O'Connor was stellar in his role as Chief Bill Gillespie. He pulled off the accent Ok and the mannerisms were authentic too. He surrounded himself with a solid supporting cast and they all worked well together to give that authentic feel of a small city police force. The use of locals was a great touch to add to the realism and shooting in this gorgeous southern town added so much to an already solid show. There's rarely an outdoor scene where you don't hear birds chirping, and often there are train whistles and church bells going off in the background. It makes for a fantastic setting.

Gary "ITHOTN is my favorite show from that time period of the late 80's/early 90's" O.

8. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Yeah, you must really like it because in the decade plus I've been here, I don't think I've seen you talk about a show that aired so late in the century.

Ron1973 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  9. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    You’re correct. This is easily my favorite “recently aired” series. :D

Gary “I don’t normally go for modern shows, but this one was pretty good” O. :lol: