What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
81172d34da99d394cde8402ffe8abf6d-1024x576.jpeg

In a small town in Mississippi a body is found on the street, cooling as it’s lifeblood seeps out yet still sweltering in the literal heat of the night.  Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier) is picked up at the local train station and hauled before police chief Gillespie (Rod Steiger) as suspect number one. Assumed guilty because he is an outsider and black, Tibbs quickly establishes that not only is he smarter and more classy than Gillespie but also a higher paid police detective who specializes in homicide.  Embarrassed, Gillespie engages Tibbs to solve the murder.  Tibbs reluctantly does so, exposing the town’s darkest secrets.  In a town where racism is a daily and accepted occurrence Tibbs must be on his toes to outsmart fatcat political foes, dopey deputies and heat-mad townies alike.

In the Heat of the Night (1967)...

Continue reading...

FWAJMB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Blosser
And yet...somehow...you managed to blatantly violate the forum's rules to promote your left-wing agenda that has nothing to do with home theater.

Keep it about the movies.
Review the medium.
Keep the rest to yourself.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
And yet...somehow...you managed to blatantly violate the forum's rules to promote your left-wing agenda that has nothing to do with home theater.

Keep it about the movies.
Review the medium.
Keep the rest to yourself.
”about the movies”? That is precisely what this movie is about. Indeed this movie has absolutely nothing to do with home theater.

Forum rule no.4 (bold italics mine)

"4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF. However, there is a narrow exception to this rule. If the subject matter of a movie or television show includes politics and/or religion, then they may be discussed insofar as they pertain to that specific movie or television show. We stress, however, that such discussions are carefully monitored and will be moderated if it appears that any participant is using this narrow exception to introduce a broader political or religious discussion than is warranted by the movie or television show under discussion. Also, anyone who has not seen a particular movie or television show is disqualified from discussing its political and/or religious content under this rule. Note: Posts by HTF staff including reviewers may on occasion be given wider discretion by site management."

While one can question the reviewer's choice of words, he is without question writing about the subject matter of this film. Thus there is is no violation fo the forum rules, nor is there even any need for wider discretion for HTF staff, as the author writes about nothing outside the scope of this particular film.

Agree with him or not, the reviewer is writing about the film.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Agree with him or not, the reviewer is writing about the film.
Not when the reviewer keeps pulling current events into his review of the film. That’s bringing today’s politics into his analysis of the film, and that is absolutely against forum rules.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd say that since Sam is both a Reviewer AND a Moderator here, judging whether or not his writeup has crossed a line is a discussion best left to him and HTF management. I don't think they need much input from us. If any of you have a real issue with what he wrote, I'd suggest using that little "Report" button in the bottom left corner of Sam's post. That's why it's there.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The dude is right, if you have an issue with my review please contact [email protected]

I stand by my review and the parallels to todays issues, both race based and abortion. Both are critical parts of the movie and are reflective of a time that we seem to be heading head back towards not away from.

I’m also quite sure you have no idea what my political bent is. If you think being anti racist is a left wing pov I got nothing for ya.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Listen to the HTU Podcast that Sam hosts. :)
I just subscribed. Delighted to discover it. But can anyone be a bit more specific? I can't listen to every podcast back to Oct 2021.

Does the RAH quote have anything to do with any disc version of this film?

Thank you

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just subscribed. Delighted to discover it. But can anyone be a bit more specific? I can't listen to every podcast back to Oct 2021.

Does the RAH quote have anything to do with any disc version of this film?

Thank you
Here’s a hint: it’s the one with RAH in it :)

Also, it’s Sam’s signature. Why would the quote have anything specific to do with this particular review? It’s attached to every post and review he makes.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Also, it’s Sam’s signature. Why would the quote have anything specific to do with this particular review? It’s attached to every post and review he makes.

Coming from mobile where signatures are hidden this might be the first time he’s seen my sig.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

Well I would love to hear this episode, but both iTunes and Spotify only go back as far as October 2021; and unless RAH is a mystery guest not listed in the show notes, his episode was earlier than that?

Ah thank you - Sam’s signature attached to all his posts. Makes perfect sense now. Not having memorized Sam’s signature (shocking I know) I was thrown off by appearances.

In the format of review threads, that quote is the first thing, and the longest thing, one sees in the In The Heat of the Night - UHD Review thread:

click to expand…

Continue reading…

"An embarrassment" according to noted film historian and restorationist Mr. Robert A. Harris

It’s a great quote, but in this context…

Anyway thanks for the info. Best for me in this thread was the podcast. I’m an active forum reader, and this was the first I’ve heard about it.

Sure hope I can find the RAH episode some day.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
@cda1143
Now that I've finally heard the origin of the quote - priceless!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I take the afternoon off and I find "cleanup on aisle 7" is on tap. Several posts have been deleted.

If any of you have a problem with Sam's review then contact the HTF owners [email protected]

Any further posts complaining about a moderator's action in this thread will result in disciplinary action. Whatever your complaint, please, take it offline as stated in our posting guidelines. There will not be any further warnings as I mean what I just stated about disciplinary action. These issues should be discussed offline and not openly on the forum. Whether that is contacting Sam or the HTF owners. Any member is welcome to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks