In The GTA: What The Heck Is Roger's Digital Cable??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey guys, I'm completely ignorant about this topic; I'm betting you can dudes can fix that. I've got a pal who is interested in ordering Roger's Digital Cable service, but I thought I heard something some time ago that indicated the service is not truly digital (??). Can anyone offer any info as to the exact benefits of this service? Price? Is DD5.1 sound available (I'm guessing not)? And is it worth it with an analogue set? While I'm at it, this same pal is in the market for an RPTV. His needs: 4:3 (for his mom, actually), 50" or greater, HDTV not a consideration, so it'll be analogue all the way, baby!

Recommendations? Cheers, guys!

DS.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Dave

Digital cable is indeed a digital signal. But don't expect better quality picture, because they use lots of compression to cram tons channels in the signal. As a result you'll see problems with the signal when played back through a high quality monitor/projector, etc.

Most suppliers are moving all the best channels to digital to force people to subscribe

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I've recently added digital cable. It consists of the 58 or so analog channels, plus about a 100 or so digital channels. The digital channels definitely look better than the analog ones, as even with a good signal, there's "noise" obvious on the analog channels. The compression seems to vary from channel to channel, and show to show. Generally, the compression artifacts are livable - especially when compared to the analog channels. The analog channels have analog sound, the digital channels have dolby digital surround (not 5.1). The HDTV channels, for what it's worth, look fantastic, and some shows do carry 5.1.

The biggest flaw is that the standard analog channels aren't carried in digital. Which often defeats the purpose of getting digital. The digital channels are of varying value.

Martin.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Not to divert people away from this excellent forum, but there's a 'Digital Cable' discussion group, with most of the conversation revolving around Rogers offering, at http://www.digitalhomecanada.com
    I recently switched from Star Choice to Rogers HD digital receiver and don't regret it one bit. In my area, the picture quality on most analogue channel is very good.

5. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Thanks a lot for the link, Johnny; looks like I have plenty o' readin' to do! Cheers!

DS.

6. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Yes! Thanks for the link! I've been looking for a site like this for a while.