What's new

In the Bedroom put me in mourning (spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Whoa, I watched In the Bedroom at the beginning of the weekend, and all weekend I've been totally in shock. I feel like I'm practically in mourning over one of the characters in it. It's been a long time since a movie has done anything like that to me; if ever. The movie was very believable, so that made it harder to take. When the first tragic event happens in the movie, I was just totally in shock.

After seeing that I've also been feeling totally vulnerable to a quick and unexpected tragedy like that.
I guess that's good. I mean it means the movie was well made and effective. But, I can't believe it affected me that much.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
While I enjoyed the movie - it suffered from a serious pacing problem. It was just way too slow.

After setting up the situation and defining the characters - the movie would have benefited from a quicker pace from that point.

The story itself held no surprises for me - it was pretty predictable.

The strength of the movie was the excellent acting done by all the principal characters.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I actually thought the film was very well paced. In fact, I saw this movie twice during its theatrical run, which is something I very rarely do these days. Tom Wilkinson's performance was simply astounding, IMHO. It's definitely a movie that sticks with you for a long time.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about the pacing. It was definitely slow, but once I got through those parts it made the sharp turns in the story more effective. So I don't know.

I also went into watching this movie having absolutely no idea what it was about. And, yes I did see those things coming in the story somewhat because they were foreshadowed, yet the directing of those shots still took me off guard- especially the first one where Frank is shot. That's mainly the one I'm referring to. That scene was terribly jarring to me.

Chris M

Second Unit
Just rented this last night, had no idea what it was about. Thought it was very good, but VERY slow paced... was looking at the clock many times. This movie could have been cut down by at least 30 minutes.

Definately not something I would buy, but definately glad I rented it.

Chris.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
In regards to pacing, how else would you depict two people growing apart after a tragedy and not speaking to one another? The "slow" parts worked to built tension between the two characters until they finally had their blow up. I thought the pacing was very appropriate and would not have worked any other way.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The film is firmly anchored around it's excellent acting. I thought Wilkenson was the Best Actor last year to be honest (I'm not trashing the Oscars because I enjoy and respect them - just a personal choice on actor).

Scenes about acting rather than action will have a "slow" pace because little action is taking place (I mean things happening, not explosions and stuff). The whole point of films of this sort is to just watch actors explore those emotions. I think the power of the film comes from that because it allows you to identify closely with those emotions, thus the reaction Lanny had.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Scott since you asked about the pacing - I'll answer.
Tightening up the scenes introducing the characters and the dynamics between them plus the grieving scenes would be the approach I would take. These segments have scenes which repeat ideas several times. Losing a few scenes here and there would not cause the audience to identify less with the characters.
Once the parents had decided on their course of action - the scenes here could have been greater urgency especially with the father. He really underplayed the scenes - not showing any nervousness or impatience.
These minor changes would make for a tighter more satisfying picture - IMHO of course.:D

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
seemed like they were lifted right out of my life (I was in an eerily similar situation dating a woman who has kids and an older, nasty ex). When that scene takes place, even though I knew it was coming, I was in total shock until the closing credits. Absolutely riveting.

I was captivated right from the beginning however, so I can definitely see how someone who wasn't "sucked into" the story as much would find the pacing slow.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
When I saw this theatrically, there was a gentleman sitting across the aisle from me (in not a very crowded theater) who had a serious emotional breakthrough during the film (around the end of the first act). He began sobbing very intensely and loudly. I liked the film, especially the Mapother / Wilkinson (any scene with one or both men captivated me), but I wouldn't say I loved it.

I can't help but respect its emotional charge.. the silences especially. I had no problem with the pacing. Unfortunately, the man's loud sobbing - which continued from the forty-minute mark to fifteen minutes before the close, and which I did not feel comfortable asking him to stop - masked much of the quieter dialogue, and I would say actually overwhelmed the emotion in the movie, which is perhaps why it didn't resonate with me.

~Steve

Sean G

Auditioning
Great movie. Very sad. But if you want to get REALLY depressed, sit down to Requiem for A Dream. I was crying when the end credits were rolling.:frowning:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes Matt from your perspective it's easy to see why the pacing didn't pose a problem for you.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was slow paced. Some films are slow paced- they're supposed to be. Therefore, it succeeded. The emotional and intellectual responses they were going for worked very well, so I could not dare to say that they "should've" changed anything.

This kind of family drama thing usually isn't my cup of tea and I don't want to watch it again, but for some reason I was riveted throughout the film. Acting was great, particularly the father.

It is also interesting to see the emotional responses from some people watching it, ie, Steve Y's crybaby. When Tomei went to see Spacek after the murder and tried to talk to her and Spacek slapped her in the face, my girlfriend bursts out, "Good!" I was shocked, and realised that it's very telling of her generally harsh and unforgiving nature. Scary stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks