What's new

In terms of reliability which is the better choice, Yamaha or Denon? (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
If you were looking at the RX-V 2200 and the AVR 3802 and all things were equal (hypothetical, I know) which would be the better choice in terms of reliability? Does either brand have a track record of problems with construction and overall quality? Are they more or less equal in this respect?

I'm currently running a Yamaha HTR-5250 and am considering upgrading to one of the above mentioned receivers. I plan to hold onto the new receiver for a while so I want something that I can count on.

I like the sound of both so either one would work for me WRT sound quality.

Any thoughts? Horror stories?

This isn't meant to be a Denon vs Yamaha thread. Just a question about reliability.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I think both are considered pretty reliable. I know at least that Denon is very reliable (I have the 3802). I haven't heard anything bad about Yamaha, either. I think both are considered reliable products.

You don't really hear about Denon or Yamaha equipment problems like you have lately with Marantz or Onkyo. But also the Yamaha stuff just came out.

I would say either are great choices.

Bryan

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yamaha seems to have the better reputation in this regard. I saw a testimonial on this Forum stating as much from a service technician earlier this year. I’ve been participating on this Forum for two years now and I’ve seen many more people complaining about problems with Denon compared to Yamaha. However, it seems that certain receivers were having a bad run.
That said, it’s fairly well know that Denon’s customer service is abominable. So reliability being equal, that would break the deal for me. If you do go with Denon, make sure you buy from a reputable authorized dealer. The dealer will take care of you, even in Denon won’t.
Happy Holidays,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
They both have a good reputation as far as I know. I can't say for sure with Yamaha but I know, from personal experience, that Denon receivers are excellent. I worked in a stereo store while in college and Denon was one of the lines we carried. In three years I only remember one unit coming in for repair and that was because the owner fried it, not a problem with the receiver itself. Their CD players on the other hand are very unreliable.

Either way, you won't go wrong.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
All I can say is.. I've had my yammie RX-V670 for @7yrs now and only had the display light go out- that was after house got hit by lightning... repair was very cheap and its been great(4rs ago)... my 795a Ive had for 2yrs now and is flawless... I am truely happy with my yammies.

I have not had a Dennon...so I cannot say anything +/- on them... but always good things and have looked at some my self..

I would say... wich ever one you go with.. you'll be happy

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
OK, not a Yamaha vs Denon thread...
I had a Yamaha DSP-E1000 for adding DPL to my 2 channel stereo a while back. Then migrated to a RX-V793 for DD. Never a problem with either. I think the fact that they also make professional recording gear, and the built in quality that's necessary there for how badly the equipment can be treated, possibly "leaks" over to their HT gear.
But hey, if this is a "reliability" thread, can I bash Sony? :) For how big they are, and how well they seem to be received by the general public, I have had nothing but problems with. Portable CD player, DVD player, high end pre/pro, etc...

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
I've had both. I replaced my Yamaha DSP-A2 with the Denon 3802 about two months ago. I wanted 7.1 surround capabilities and DPLII. If not for the fact I could get the Denon for $799 from an authorized B&M, I would still have my Yamaha.

The Yammy performed flawlessly for 2+ years and put out great sound. There are actually a few things I liked better about the Yammy over the Denon, but overall I am very pleased with going with the 3802. I'm sure you will too.

Matt

TomH

Second Unit
Do some searches and I think you will find far fewer Yamaha problem reports. There have also been several articles that mention Yamaha's excellent customer service, certainly an area that Denon fails miserably.

However, reliability is nothing if you are not happy with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks