What's new

In Search Of... (1 Viewer)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, the quality on Mysterious Monsters is pretty terrible (like a bad VHS), but I still bought and enjoyed it as it scared the heck out of me as a kid!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bad quality might add to it for me. Grind house bad would be almost as good as pristine! :D

Looking over the list, it would seem like ISO topics have been done to death over the years but so far it happy times. Just watched Earhart and thought "well how interesting can this still be?" well it was!! I need to look up the recent on it... and the rest too pretty much.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I love Mysterious Monsters and the first Boggy Creek! The poor video quality doesn't bother me with those movies. The monster episodes were always my favs on In Search Of, especially the ones with Bigfoot. I've always like the idea that there might be a large, hairy creature stalking the woods. I'm planning on getting the complete series set eventually.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm on disc 3 already. Right now taking a short break from the one about Ghosts. I'm not scared! No... i don't believe in them. Just breaking for a short little bit is all. ;) the one before it about Easter Island just bogles the minds. Makes you wonder what the heck was going on there. Just that some of those statues were left unfinished with the tools dropped nearby... somebody said, Time to go do something else NOW! or something.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont recall this show, but by college i wasnt watching nearly as much tv

it sounds like a show i would like

i found an outlet for $49, so i figured i would grab it while i could

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
In search.... events are still relevant today, especially since there are many episodes that are still unexplained.

I have the set as such I watched it from time to time due to fact that Leonard Nimoy did the narrating as well as I liked episodes that dealt with the unexplained areas like bermuda triangle or atlantis or pyramids or life after death or other events.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
they sure are! Sometimes I'm poking fun, as if I know the subject like my hand backs, but others I'm amazed and baffled and wanting to know more.

Unexplained still today, like the Easter Island one that talked about giant moments

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I waited too long and missed the cheap price, I did notice it dropped back down for one day. Hopefully it will again. I was hoping to get the first release because it contains the two Rod Serling specials and I heard the new release doesn't have those.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Had the first real issue with the complete series set of In Search Of... last night. On disc 1 of Season 5, "The Lindbergh Kidnapping" has the audio out-of-synch with the video when people are talking on camera (including Nimoy). Too bad as this is one of my all-time favorite episodes of the series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
There are some really excellent episodes, especially in areas like Bermuda Triangle or Atlantis or UFOs or DB Cooper. I am glad I pick up the set.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Ugh, gimme a break VEI!

Just received my copy of In Search Of... via Amazon.com and the set contains two copies of Season 2 and no Season 1.

In attempting to set up the return through Amazon there's just a return-only option & no replacement option.

I nabbed it for $39.99 and was excited to get it for the low price. Now it looks like I'll have to return it and reorder at whatever the current price is.

I emailed VEI & asked if a replacement/exchange is possible for just the Season 1 discs, but since I didn't order through them directly I likely won't have much luck with it.

In Search of.jpg

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Instead of returning the whole thing you could just buy season 1 separately. Amazon currently has it listed for $16.29.

I wouldn't necessarily blame VEI for the mistake, I have found that many 3rd party sellers try to flip bad stock on Amazon for a lower price tricking customers. Just a few months ago I bought Alien Nation - The Complete Series from a 3rd party on Amazon new for a low price, only to find that the set had 2 sets of Disc 3 and 4, and no Disc 5 and 6...

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
mattfire64 said:
Instead of returning the whole thing you could just buy season 1 separately. Amazon currently has it listed for $16.29.

I wouldn't necessarily blame VEI for the mistake, I have found that many 3rd party sellers try to flip bad stock on Amazon for a lower price tricking customers. Just a few months ago I bought Alien Nation - The Complete Series from a 3rd party on Amazon new for a low price, only to find that the set had 2 sets of Disc 3 and 4, and no Disc 5 and 6...
Thanks for the advice Matt.

I don't know why I didn't think to check on a separate Season 1 purchase at Amazon. For some reason I had it in my head that this series was only available as a complete box.

As for VEI, yeah, they get enough crap as it is so I tend to lay off them. I'm happy they're still finding ways to release classic TV on DVD to the market, warts and all.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JayHink said:
Ugh, gimme a break VEI!

Just received my copy of In Search Of... via Amazon.com and the set contains two copies of Season 2 and no Season 1.

In attempting to set up the return through Amazon there's just a return-only option & no replacement option.

I nabbed it for $39.99 and was excited to get it for the low price. Now it looks like I'll have to return it and reorder at whatever the current price is.

I emailed VEI & asked if a replacement/exchange is possible for just the Season 1 discs, but since I didn't order through them directly I likely won't have much luck with it.

attachicon.gif
In Search of.jpg
Hi Jay!

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out VEI sending you a replacement Season 1 for IN SEARCH OF....

A little over a year ago, I had an issue where an Amazon Marketplace vendor sent me the 2012 Edition of VCI Entertainment's A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951), in which the second disc was not as advertised. In this particular case, I was informed that a return for refund was the only option.

I contacted VCI by phone, to explain my situation, including the Amazon Marketplace vendor's unwillingness to do an exchange. Not only did VCI send me a replacement Blu-ray/DVD combo that included the correct DVD, I didn't have to return the set that I already had.

Did you order through a Marketplace vendor, or directly via Amazon? If the latter, I should think that VEI would be even more likely to accommodate you in that scenario, as Amazon should be guaranteeing the product they send out, and not shipping out defective/wrongly packaged items, regardless of price. That's my take on it, anyway!

Best of luck in getting the situation rectified to your satisfaction!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This thread got me all jazzed up for watching this show again. I haven't seen it since the original syndication. So I just pulled the trigger and bought it off Amazon for 41.99. Why it is $2 more, I have no idea, but still a great price for all 146 episodes.

I blame all of you for me spending money this morning!

-Rodney

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm guessing you ordered *from* VEI with "Fulfilled by Amazon." If so, I'd just contact VEI through Amazon to ask about a replacement S1 set (use VEI's storefront page to ask them a question via the link on that page). You should hear from them in plenty of time to initiate a return for refund if they can't do anything. If not purchased from them, the current price from VEI and "Fulfilled by Amazon" is $41.99. Still a great price. In that case I'd initiate a return and just reorder with the VEI "Fulfilled by Amazon" price.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Jay!

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out VEI sending you a replacement Season 1 for IN SEARCH OF....

A little over a year ago, I had an issue where an Amazon Marketplace vendor sent me the 2012 Edition of VCI Entertainment's A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951), in which the second disc was not as advertised. In this particular case, I was informed that a return for refund was the only option.

I contacted VCI by phone, to explain my situation, including the Amazon Marketplace vendor's unwillingness to do an exchange. Not only did VCI send me a replacement Blu-ray/DVD combo that included the correct DVD, I didn't have to return the set that I already had.

Did you order through a Marketplace vendor, or directly via Amazon? If the latter, I should think that VEI would be even more likely to accommodate you in that scenario, as Amazon should be guaranteeing the product they send out, and not shipping out defective/wrongly packaged items, regardless of price. That's my take on it, anyway!

Best of luck in getting the situation rectified to your satisfaction!

CHEERS! :)

Tony
Hi Tony -- I ordered the set directly through Amazon (not a 3rd party vendor). I've done returns with Amazon in the past & they normally give two options ('Return' or 'Refund') but in this case, only the 'Refund' option was available. I did shoot an email to VEI just to see if it's possible an exchange can be made; probably won't hear back until Monday. Interestingly, I just looked at the packaging & it appears that it came from a VEI office. (see photo below.)

20160116_133341_resized.jpg

I'm glad to hear your previous experience resulted in good customer service. I'll definitely report back what happens here.

BobO'Link said:
I'm guessing you ordered *from* VEI with "Fulfilled by Amazon." If so, I'd just contact VEI through Amazon to ask about a replacement S1 set (use VEI's storefront page to ask them a question via the link on that page). You should hear from them in plenty of time to initiate a return for refund if they can't do anything. If not purchased from them, the current price from VEI and "Fulfilled by Amazon" is $41.99. Still a great price. In that case I'd initiate a return and just reorder with the VEI "Fulfilled by Amazon" price.
BobO'Link -- I think what I described above is exactly what you mentioned in your post (ordered *from* VEI with "Fulfilled by Amazon.") I used VEI's storefront page to send my initial email last night so glad to hear I'm on the right track. If I can get an exchange for S1 without refunding and re-buying, that would be great. If not, I'll definitely refund and hit up the $41.99 price.

Thanks for chiming in everyone; I can't wait to watch this.

In the meantime, I bought the Arthur C. Clarke Collection (his 3 TV series) in the same order so I suppose I can tear into that one while I wait. :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JayHink said:
Ugh, gimme a break VEI!

Call Amazon customer service ((888) 280-4331). Tell them you want an exchange and what the problem was. I bet it works.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
JayHink said:
Hi Tony -- I ordered the set directly through Amazon (not a 3rd party vendor). I've done returns with Amazon in the past & they normally give two options ('Return' or 'Refund') but in this case, only the 'Refund' option was available. I did shoot an email to VEI just to see if it's possible an exchange can be made; probably won't hear back until Monday. Interestingly, I just looked at the packaging & it appears that it came from a VEI office. (see photo below.)

attachicon.gif
20160116_133341_resized.jpg

I'm glad to hear your previous experience resulted in good customer service. I'll definitely report back what happens here.

BobO'Link -- I think what I described above is exactly what you mentioned in your post (ordered *from* VEI with "Fulfilled by Amazon.") I used VEI's storefront page to send my initial email last night so glad to hear I'm on the right track. If I can get an exchange for S1 without refunding and re-buying, that would be great. If not, I'll definitely refund and hit up the $41.99 price.

Thanks for chiming in everyone; I can't wait to watch this.

In the meantime, I bought the Arthur C. Clarke Collection (his 3 TV series) in the same order so I suppose I can tear into that one while I wait. :)
I think you're on the right track. You should have no problems tearing into the Clarke collection. Amazon treats each item ordered individually in case of issues so, if necessary, you'd be able to return In Search Of... without having to include anything else ordered and/or shipped with that title.

That Arthur C. Clarke Collection is lots of fun. I purchased it a few years back and greatly enjoyed the viewing. But I'd also seen it in syndication and liked it then too. It really reminds me quite a bit of In Search Of... and is a very good suplimental series. :)

Because of your comments/issue I opened my copy of In Search Of... to start watching it last night. Mine was OK - which is good as I purchased it over a year ago and just haven't made time for it yet. I watched the first 8 episodes and would say VEI did a great job of getting them on disc. It's a quite entertaining series and one I was grateful to be able to pick up on DVD. I've liked it since I first saw it during the original syndication run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks