What's new

In Search Of... (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
PatrickGoodluck said:
I don't have this set as yet (but intend to in the near future - even though I have them all from various tv rebroadcasts) so I was curious about the Rod Serling narrated shows. From all reviews I've read so far, it mentions there are 2 Serling shows included, which of course would be "In Search Of Ancient Astronauts" and "In Search Of Ancient Mysteries". Just wondering, does "The Outer Space Connection" (which I assume is not included in this set as I haven't heard it mentioned) bare any connection (pardon the pun) to "In Search of..."?
Hi Patrick, I have the set and have watched majority if the episodes and love the show. The show gives a different opinion of events of the past. It would be nice to look at some of the events again using today's technology, i.e. computer simulations. The show could work well with events, like the following 1. Rise of the Taliban 2. Gas Fracking and its impact 3. Heat Waves 4. You could do episodes on dictators, like Assad (Syria) or Hussein (Iraq) or Eqypt (mubarek) 5. Palestine (PLO) 6. Plane Crashes 7. South Korea and North Korea (especially looking at the North and its threat) 8. Hawaii Islands (Transformations and possible sinking) 9. Bermunda Triangle (Re-visit) 10. Green Energy (It is impact on food chain) 11. Rise of Brazil as an economic power 12. China and its dynasties 13. Japan - Tsunamis 14. Atlantis (revisit) 15. Life in the Arctie 16. African Safaris 17. Tribes of Africa 18. Mars exploration 19. Life on Indian Reservation 20. Peru pyramids 21. Falkland Island War 22. Breakup of Yugoslavia 23. Is it communism dead (Cuba, China, North Korea, etc) 24. September 11, 2001 conspiracies 25. al-Qaeda 26. Afghanistan rebuilt 27. Role of CSI in solving crimes 28. Ferry disasters 29. Bridges/infrastructure marvels 30. English/French Tunnel I am sure there could be more, but gist is this show could be done again by looking at events from 1985 on as way to keep people's interest in history and events.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
Hi Patrick, I have the set and have watched majority if the episodes and love the show. The show gives a different opinion of events of the past. It would be nice to look at some of the events again using today's technology, i.e. computer simulations. The show could work well with events, like the following 1. Rise of the Taliban 2. Gas Fracking and its impact 3. Heat Waves 4. You could do episodes on dictators, like Assad (Syria) or Hussein (Iraq) or Eqypt (mubarek) 5. Palestine (PLO) 6. Plane Crashes 7. South Korea and North Korea (especially looking at the North and its threat) 8. Hawaii Islands (Transformations and possible sinking) 9. Bermunda Triangle (Re-visit) 10. Green Energy (It is impact on food chain) 11. Rise of Brazil as an economic power 12. China and its dynasties 13. Japan - Tsunamis 14. Atlantis (revisit) 15. Life in the Arctie 16. African Safaris 17. Tribes of Africa 18. Mars exploration 19. Life on Indian Reservation 20. Peru pyramids 21. Falkland Island War 22. Breakup of Yugoslavia 23. Is it communism dead (Cuba, China, North Korea, etc) 24. September 11, 2001 conspiracies 25. al-Qaeda 26. Afghanistan rebuilt 27. Role of CSI in solving crimes 28. Ferry disasters 29. Bridges/infrastructure marvels 30. English/French Tunnel I am sure there could be more, but gist is this show could be done again by looking at events from 1985 on as way to keep people's interest in history and events.
Nice list Paul. I can just imagine the Nimoy narration with the creepy music score playing over some of those themes. With all the UFO stuff that has happened since the early 80's I'd imagine it would go a lot more in that direction also. On another note, I am currently watching the series and am really loving it. I have to slow down and savor it a little.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
So is purchasing directly from the VEI site the best option? Looks like it is going for around $87 US.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jeff Robertson said:
So is purchasing directly from the VEI site the best option? Looks like it is going for around $87 US.
You need to watch the shipping cost as VEI charges a very high shipping cost!

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Originally Posted by younger1968
You need to watch the shipping cost as VEI charges a very high shipping cost!
I was wondering about that. I will have to see what the shipping comes to.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have started to watch due to halloween coming up in three weeks. I decided to watch the Amityville episode with the Lutz family. I started doing more research and there are different theories on what really happen to the Lutz family. I am on the fence whether or not the Lutz events actually occurred.

There is a couple of very documentaries on Amityville and in some cases they have dispel the Lutz claim. It is sad that we may never find out the truth unless the kids speak out now as both the mom and the step father have now died.

I love the DB Cooper episode and many of the other episodes as they were intriguing!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just recently watched one of my favorites, the Anastasia episode. Even though the eccentric Anna Anderson was finally proved NOT to be the famous duchess, it was still a very fun episode.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
$50 burning a hole in my pockets... ISO is about $45 at the moment. But the say next year some time they are putting out a compactly packaged set for $25 retail. Sketchy details.... It won't be for sale online and they aren't revealing what box stores are getting it. Nimoy should definitely investigate this turn of events! Meanwhile, I'd be lucky enough for the newer cheaper one to get canceled and the old one shoot back up to $125!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
$50 burning a hole in my pockets... ISO is about $45 at the moment. But the say next year some time they are putting out a compactly packaged set for $25 retail. Sketchy details.... It won't be for sale online and they aren't revealing what box stores are getting it. Nimoy should definitely investigate this turn of events! Meanwhile, I'd be lucky enough for the newer cheaper one to get canceled and the old one shoot back up to $125!
I paid $60 about a year ago to get the original release directly from VEI. It's still sitting here unopened - but I don't regret the purchase at all (and I even have a unopened copy of S1 I'd purchased a few months before the complete set went on sale)!

I'd probably go for the $45 version from VEI as it has some stuff that reportedly will *not* be on the other release (the bonus stuff was also not available with the individual seasons). The extras that may not be included are the remake from 2002, originally broadcast on the Sci-Fi Channel, featuring Mitch Pileggi (X-Files, Stargate Atlantis) as the host (8 hour length episodes), and the original two television specials, In Search of Ancient Astronauts and In Search of Ancient Mysteries, both narrated by Rod Serling. It was these two specials that led to the creation of the series. The first one was based on the best-selling book Chariots of the Gods? by Erich von Däniken. Serling was to be the series host but died before production started. For the tally - there were 144 episodes with Nimoy, 8 with Pileggi, and the 2 TV specials with Serling. That new set will reportedly have *only* the NImoy episodes - but I've never seen one so don't know for sure.

I purchased that box set, rather than continue with the individual seasons, just to get those bonus items. Fortunately I found out about the bonus stuff *before* I'd continued with the individual seasons.

And if you don't already own a copy - pick up this too: Arthur C. Clarke Collection which has Mysterious World, Mysterious Universe, and World of Strange Powers. It makes a very good companion piece.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Guys... bought. This is why this is my favorite FORUM!

Bob, thank you for the detailed info. I wishlisted the Clarke series. I can't believe I didn't already have it on there. (I understand someone is going to drop a wad of cash on me for xmas... woo hoo... and I'll maybe grab it then. Sounds great.

Kevin, that equation is exactly what I remember. Just multiply the final answer by Nimoy's 1970s fashions and it'll equal my own personal Hog Heaven!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Radioman970 said:
Guys... bought. This is why this is my favorite FORUM!

Bob, thank you for the detailed info. I wishlisted the Clarke series. I can't believe I didn't already have it on there. (I understand someone is going to drop a wad of cash on me for xmas... woo hoo... and I'll maybe grab it then. Sounds great.

Kevin, that equation is exactly what I remember. Just multiply the final answer by Nimoy's 1970s fashions and it'll equal my own personal Hog Heaven!
I've been thinking about this too for a while - went ahead and ordered it today as well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
12 episodes in 3 days. I guess this show isn't my thing!! :P

havin a ball!
Just got my set out the other day. Ghost Ship 'The Mary Celeste' episode, The Lost Colony of Roanoke, Earth Visitors all watched in one day. All brilliant.
Now on to a random episode "Air Disaster Predictions"

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
now i watched them in order and I was glued! Each and every one of them begged discussion. It was just my dogs in the room so I explained my thoughts to them! :D

I love the one "A call from Space" that featured Sagan talkin about Pioneer 10. And the talk about SETI. I grew up with all these things and had forgotten how fascinated I was by all that originally. This show is bringing it back.

Earthquakes was also terrific. Some of that old footage, like the one in Alaska, was breathtaking regardless of the quality of it. And when he mentioned the double decker roadways maybe collapsing ... it was just eery since it happened just that way years later and killed so many people.

Killer Bees, when that bee keeper gets nervous about the ferocity of the stings as he's trying to get away from the swarm.

Psychic Detectives... that lady who was a hundred feet or so away from where she felt the body of that lady was... I did have a thought that maybe she herself had something to do with it! I'm sure she didn't, but I still wanted to look up that case, as well of others things in these episodes, for updates.

REally, a lot of things were making me think "i'd crap my pants if this happened to me"!! :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Radioman970 said:
now i watched them in order and I was glued! Each and every one of them begged discussion. It was just my dogs in the room so I explained my thoughts to them! :D

I love the one "A call from Space" that featured Sagan talkin about Pioneer 10. And the talk about SETI. I grew up with all these things and had forgotten how fascinated I was by all that originally. This show is bringing it back.

Earthquakes was also terrific. Some of that old footage, like the one in Alaska, was breathtaking regardless of the quality of it. And when he mentioned the double decker roadways maybe collapsing ... it was just eery since it happened just that way years later and killed so many people.

Killer Bees, when that bee keeper gets nervous about the ferocity of the stings as he's trying to get away from the swarm.

Psychic Detectives... that lady who was a hundred feet or so away from where she felt the body of that lady was... I did have a thought that maybe she herself had something to do with it! I'm sure she didn't, but I still wanted to look up that case, as well of others things in these episodes, for updates.

REally, a lot of things were making me think "i'd crap my pants if this happened to me"!! :D
My favourite ones are the following:

1. DB Cooper was very good, especially even back then they had their suspicions who may have been DB Cooper

2. Bermuda Triangle - Anything to do with the Bermuda Triangle has always fascinated me!

3. Aliens - Anything to do with Roswell or other aliens encounter has also excited me as well

4. Coming of the ice age is another good episode as I remember studying the ice age in school during the 1970s and 1980s

5. Earthquakes was a good episode as well as I remember studying techtonic plates

6. Ghosts - I have always been fascinated with Ghosts

7. Amityville - I have seen a few documentaries on Amityville including ones that said it was a hoax

8. Kennedy killing was well done! I always suspected there was more to Kennedy's death that meets the eye!

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
Has the film "Mysterious Monsters" hosted by Peter Graves ever made it to DVD? I remember going to see that in a theater in the 70s. Still have the paperback companion book to that film.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Some great ones to look forward to. Not a clunker in the bunch so far. Well, not all perfects though. On Learning ESP Mr. Nimoy had a table of kids, some ESP cards and one little dude to his left got 5 out of 5 right! I think he was peeking. It's really no matter, all the subject matter has been so interesting and stuff like that cheatin little feller just made it all discussion worthy.

The Triangle is another I'm very suspect of. It's a great topic, but I just feel like that area is so well traveled accidents happen much more. although it was very disturbing about that squadron that never had a trace. AND...a search plane that went out looking! So, skeptical, but not 100% you know! :p

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Moore Maxx said:
Has the film "Mysterious Monsters" hosted by Peter Graves ever made it to DVD? I remember going to see that in a theater in the 70s. Still have the paperback companion book to that film.
Yes, but the video quality is abysmal.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Moore Maxx said:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mysterious-Monsters-Peter-Graves/dp/B002EIJ98K

Looks cool! I mean, Peter Graves = Im there!

Oh! And don't forget Charles B. Pierces efforts. Boggy Creek, etc. Town that Dreaded Sundown had eeried me for ages! and I only saw the trailer in 1975, not the movie until somewhat recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks