What's new

In Search Of... (1 Viewer)

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
My set arrived yesterday. I'm busy for the rest of this week, but I plan to dig into it this weekend. I'll start with the two Serling episodes, as I don't remember seeing them when they first aired.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watch a few episodes and few are too far fetched to be true. I did like the one about siberia ball of fire and the bermuda triangle pirates. Leonary Nimoy was a great host, but he should have gotten rid of the moustache!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
I have watch a few episodes and few are too far fetched to be true. I did like the one about siberia ball of fire and the bermuda triangle pirates. Leonary Nimoy was a great host, but he should have gotten rid of the moustache!
Yeah I know, but that is part of the fun of the series. I can't wait to dig into this set. I thought my order was coming in yesterday, but I guess it will be here today instead. I absolutey cannot wait to see:
-The money pit mystery
-Bigfoot
-D.B. Cooper
-Dracula,
and all the rest.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Bryan^H said:
Yeah I know, but that is part of the fun of the series. I can't wait to dig into this set. I thought my order was coming in yesterday, but I guess it will be here today instead. I absolutey cannot wait to see:
-The money pit mystery
-Bigfoot
-D.B. Cooper
-Dracula,
and all the rest.
Hi Bryan,
The episodes are still interesting to watch, because it gives you different perspective on historical events. I just watch a couple last night that i found to far out there too be true. Those aforementioned episode remind me of That's Incredible show, which was also known to stretch the truth.

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
Bryan^H said:
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY129TtOhj0 [/VIDEO]
UNCUT from the actual 16 mm film
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWreRvMOiY [/VIDEO]
CUT
22 minutes is the proper running time. Tom is correct on the matter.
I'll post my thoughts on the set tonight.
Thanks for that information,I will be getting the set now.I just hate buying dvd releases if they have cut episodes.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
A number of episodes seem to run closer to 23 minutes (i.e. 22:45, 22:38, etc.). I think it probably had 3 sets of 2-minute commercial blocks, plus a minute between the show's end and the beginning of the next show. 7 minutes of commercials seems about right.
Not to mention that as I have been watching them, I am not detecting any apparent cuts at all. I think VEI did a fantastic job on this set, much better than a few other sets I have of theirs (I'm still irritated about how they handled "Bizarre").

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here are some images of the set.
Sorry about being so late in posting it has been one busy week!
Thoughts on the set:
FANTASTIC!! Well packaged, attractive, and sturdy case. The video of the series can be a tad bit dark on some episodes(had to up my brightness setting on the tv) but the picture overall is very pleasing. Sound is decent.
Overall, to see these episodes uncut again is nothing short of a small miracle(especially if your a 70'S TV nut like me). If you would have asked me a few years ago if I thought this was coming out complete on dvd, I'd think you mad. But here it is in all its well narrated, MOOG synthisizer, charm and glory. I remeber watching this early Saturday evenings with my brother so long ago. Great stuff here people.
Grade-A

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I'll be watching the Serling episodes this weekend. I also can't believe that we now have the original series, along with the Serling specials and the later revival series. This was always appointment viewing for me back in the day.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
handley said:
I'll be watching the Serling episodes this weekend. I also can't believe that we now have the original series, along with the Serling specials and the later revival series. This was always appointment viewing for me back in the day.
I would have in search of up there with Jacques Cousteau or Wild Kingdom, etc. Today's TV is about making stories about peoples miserable lives and/or get rich quick schemes. There is no real depth with TV other then people looking at these people saying gee my life/career is better then these people!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
^ Thanks for the pics, Bryan. With the holidays, I don't have the money for this right now but I want to pick it up.
You are welcome. The set is well worth the money.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
I would have in search of up there with Jacques Cousteau or Wild Kingdom, etc. Today's TV is about making stories about peoples miserable lives and/or get rich quick schemes. There is no real depth with TV other then people looking at these people saying gee my life/career is better then these people!
I feel the same way Paul.

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I watched the two Serling episodes and the video was pretty rough (likely dubbed from VHS). The episodes themselves were pretty dull. I thought there'd be more talking heads, but instead it was mostly Serling's narration. I can't wait to dive in to the more interesting and tightly paced Nimoy episodes.

handley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I watched the first regular Nimoy episode last night and all I can say is WOW! Now this is the series I remember. The video is very good and it appears that nothing is missing. Looking forward to viewing the rest!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
handley said:
I watched the two Serling episodes and the video was pretty rough (likely dubbed from VHS). The episodes themselves were pretty dull. I thought there'd be more talking heads, but instead it was mostly Serling's narration. I can't wait to dive in to the more interesting and tightly paced Nimoy episodes.
I really like the work of Rod Serling, but documentary shows like in search of were not the best use of his talent. Rod Serling was best in shows like night gallery/twilight zone.
I have watched many episodes and the set holds up well. I like seeing spock with the 1970s mustache as it took me back to the mirror, mirror episode when spock had a goatee.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, the video quality on the Serling specials if awful. They almost look like YouTube videos. The quality of the series episodes with Nimoy is good, but not fantastic. Clearly these were not transferred from the camera negatives. (The show was shot on film, of course.) It looks to me like they used the analog broadcast videotapes. Which is fine -- they'd look identical to when they were first broadcast -- but I can't help wishing they had remastered these from scratch. I suppose for seven seasons it just wasn't cost effective. Still, I'm very glad I own them.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
I don't have this set as yet (but intend to in the near future - even though I have them all from various tv rebroadcasts) so I was curious about the Rod Serling narrated shows. From all reviews I've read so far, it mentions there are 2 Serling shows included, which of course would be "In Search Of Ancient Astronauts" and "In Search Of Ancient Mysteries". Just wondering, does "The Outer Space Connection" (which I assume is not included in this set as I haven't heard it mentioned) bare any connection (pardon the pun) to "In Search of..."?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks