In search of wire...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Anyone who frequents this boards knows that I'm no "believer" when it comes to cable differences, but I want to try some controlled listening tests with my friends. I want to build a DIY speaker cable based on a mixture of "recommended" parameters, such as multiple low gauge, solid OFHC copper conductors with teflon insulation in a braided configuration. So, can anyone suggest a source for 18 AWG OFHC (non-silver plated) copper wire with teflon insulation (preferrably in white)? I'm aware of the Cat5 cable with 24 AWG wire, but I want to use a design that doesn't require so much braiding work, thus I'm making a 4 wire cable (2-18 AWG for + and 2- 18 AWG for -). I'm assuming the result would be a total 16 AWG or better, which is what my "reference" Monster Cable "zip cord" is.
    thanks
    Jim

2. Larry Proud

Larry Proud Auditioning

Jim,

I believe what you are looking for is Belden 1695A. You can get it in cut lengths from Have Inc for around a dollar a foot plus $7.50 for cut.

Larry

3. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Have you checked Southwire in Carrollton? Two 18ga = 15ga, two 19ga = 16ga. IOW, for same gauge wire, doubling up = a three wire size increase.

GM

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Greg,

Do these guys have a website with pricing? If not, how about a phone #?

Thanks,

Brian

5. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Southwire (http://www.southwire.com/) is a manufacturer so can answer any wire question and refer you to the closest distributor for purchase. I haven't done it in a while, but they used to send out 'samples' if you only needed a small quantity.
    GM