What's new

In search of unfound GEMS in movies... (1 Viewer)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Hmm, underappreciated movies. SLC Punk is the most underappreciated movie ive ever seen, its also one of my favorites. Power Rangers:The Movie is also really kool, i didnt really like the second since it didnt have the "movie" feel the first one had.

not yet mentioned:

Aguirre the Wraith of God--amazing kinski performance

My Favorite Year--peter o'toole....nuff said

Beckett--see above

near dark--great little vampire movie

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I just found it and it's a good one.

Quote:

Ghost Dog

This may seem obvious, but make sure to pick up Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai (1999), directed by Jarmusch, as opposed to the obscure family film entitled Ghost Dog (1997). Come to think of it, the obscure family title is probably not out on DVD. Anyway, some other Jarmusch favorites of mine are Mystery Train (1989) and Stranger Than Paradise (1984).

I'll second Happiness and Welcome To The Dollhouse. I just love Solondz's stuff.

You guys have hit on some real winners here! Every time I think of a title, I see that it has already been mentioned!

I'll second Freeway, Zero Effect, Hard Eight and Blood Simple. All are favorites of mine that no one else seems to have seen. :)

These may not be to everyone's taste (I love them all), but I'll add these films since most people I know have never heard of them: You Can Count On Me, Iron Monkey, Focus, Chuck And Buck, Wet Hot American Summer, Cannibal! The Musical, Bottle Rocket and the documentary Hands On A Hardbody.

Frankly most of the titles mentioned here are outstanding. I'm definitely going to check out some of the films mentioned here that I've never heard of.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Have to strongly agree with Dark City, The Wicker Man and Black Orpheus. Would also add To Live And Die In LA if it can be found.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
There are great underappreciated films listed in this thread. I'll have to second:
Donnie Darko
Brotherhood of the Wolf
You Can Count On Me
Zero Effect
The Limey
Happiness
Ghost World
Lone Star
Run Lola Run
The Emperor & the Assassin
And add:
Afterglow
Castle of Cagliostro(Anime)
Grave of the Fireflies(Anime)
Army of Darkness
Once Were Warriors
The Devil's Backbone

Will K

Screenwriter
Topping my list is a newer title: Guillermo Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone. It may not be for everyone, but it's a must-see. It's best viewed knowing very little about it beforehand. Simply a stunner.
Short Cuts - if you ensemble pieces with intertwining storylines, you can't go wrong with this one. One of Robert Altman's best. (WTF is this not on DVD???)
The Exorcist III - William Peter Blatty demonstrates the art of subtle spookiness. Great dialogue and performances here, particularly by Brad Dourif as The Gemini Killer.
Exotica - My personal favorite of Atom Egoyan's films. Another great movie with intersecting plotlines. An intensely erotic film that pulls itself off without sex scenes. The lush atmosphere and beautiful score is the icing on the cake for this one.
Get Real and Beautiful Thing - Two different British gay-themed coming-of-age films. Both are terrific.
The World According To Garp - Though it seems it's been largely forgotten by the public, this is still one of the best films of the 80's.
Straw Dogs - Notorious and still to this day amazingly violent Sam Peckinpah film starring Dustin Hoffman.
I second:The Limey, Donnie Darko, Lone Star, Chuck & Buck, A Simple Plan, The Straight Story, and the Tom Tykwer favorites Run Lola Run and The Princess and the Warrior.

Gerry East

Auditioning
I'll second Dark City, Chunking Express, and Round Midnight. I'll add Matewan, though it's yet to appear on DVD.

James L White

Supporting Actor
Max Dugan Returns-i THINK IT IS mATTHEW bRODERICK'S FIRST MOVIE AND A FINE ONE AT THAT, STILL NO dvd :frowning:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Seung,

Aren't the "anti-blockbusters" great? You mentioned "The Sweet Hereafter". That is a fine film. Two others by the same director (Atom Egoyan), are: "Felicia's Journey" (also written by Egoyan), featuring an unforgettable lead role by Bob Hoskins. And: "Exotica", though in my opinion not as powerful as the previous mention, is very good.

Another suggestion is "Bound", an early film by the Wachowski brothers, who brought us "The Matrix". "Bound", is a very well crafted, low budget thriller that has nothing whatever in common with their sci-fi extravaganza. Incidentally, the lead role is played by Joe Pantoliano, who was also in "The Matrix".

Hope these help.

EugeneR

Second Unit
Valmont -- Milos Forman's better version of "Dangerous Liasons." "Dangerous Liasons" is better in some aspects, in particular John Malcovic's performance, but this film has a cast that better matches their intended roles, retains the mean streak that is blunted by the ending of "Dangerous Liasons," and combines it with really incredible cinematography. Coming to DVD in September!! Finally!
Miller's Crossing -- the best Coen brothers film for my money. The dialogue is spectacular. DVD to come in ???
The Last Seduction -- a noir thriller that went straight to video, and was brought to theatres later. Brought to you by John Dahl, the same director who brought you "Red Rock West" but a much better film. A female heroine who is smarter, and most importantly, meaner, than every unfortunate male who comes across her path. A brilliant performance by Linda Fiorentino. Not even a hint of a Region 1 DVD release.
One False Move -- a fantastic story by an unknown Billy Bob Thornton, who also plays one scary criminal. Not as scary as his pal, a college-educated psychopath with an IQ of 150 who favors a knife. A very violent, great script combined with some outstanding performances by Billy Bob, Bill Paxton, Michael Beach and Cynda Williams. It is on DVD! If you like intelligent thrillers, check this one out.

Lafe F

Second Unit
A.I. - mainstream but fascinating - many will disagree

Muriel's Wedding - about a homely girl's self discovery

The World According to Garp - quirky Robin Williams movie

Exorcist III - I'll also recommend - spooky stuff indeed

Miss Julie - dry period-piece about a servant having an affair with the Mistress of the house - great set design

Alice - odd version of Alice in Wonderland - a mix of live action and animated dead things

And Then There Were None - B&W Agatha Christy mystery - first slasher body-count movie too

Serial Mom - John Waters movie - Kathleen Turner as a mom -- who kills

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
This thread has been a great read so far. My additions:
Before Sunrise - Two twentysomethings meet on a train in Europe and decide to spend their one remaining day together. The performances and conversations are so perfectly executed, it's as though you're actually catching a glimpse of two real lives.
Smoke Signals - The first film entirely financed by Native Americans, it tells the story of two young Coeur d'Alene Indians who (in a nutshell) leave the reservation to settle things with the father of one of them. While its narrative structure borrows heavily from Lone Star (which, like the previously mentioned Limbo, is an excellent John Sayles film), this movie stands on its own, and offers a cultural perspective that most of us out east have no exposure to whatsoever.
Strange Days - A box office bomb, this 1995 film offers a disturbing look at society and its widespread manufacture and use of underground technology just before the start of the new millennium. Notably absent is any mention of Y2K. "When is the Rapture supposed to hit, exactly? Is it midnight New Year's Eve?" "That's right." "Now, is that midnight L.A. time, or Eastern Standard Time, or...or what? I mean, what time zone is God in, anyway?" The DVD is priced right, and the sound is excellent.
Waking Ned Devine - A refreshing comedy about a small town's attempt to uncover the lottery winner, this film enjoyed rave reviews but limited release.
Excellent prior recommendations include Bringing Out The Dead and The Straight Story. I'm hesitant to recommend Bulworth because most people balk at a rapping Warren Beatty, but I think it's a hilarious social commentary.

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I thought Pleasantville was a very good movie that nobody really saw. Excellent cast and good picture quality dvd.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Bound was a great recommendation above. Diva would be worth researching. After Hours will be great when it comes out. Liquid Sky is ok if wierdness helps you think something is good.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks