What's new

IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS, THAT DARN CAT, etc. coming in PAN AND SCAN ONLY! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This according to Ultimate Disney. Guess The Mouse hasn't mended his ways afterall. God this sucks.

Doesn't this call for a petition similar to that used to get a widescreen edition of ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR? Would it work?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Oh No! Not Again! I have been patiently waiting for "In Search of the Castaways". I can't believe that Disney has the audacity to do more fullscreen blunders!!!!!!!
Where do i sign the petition?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You know, I would love to collect allthose old Disney live action films, but I WILL NOT buy them if they aren't in their correct aspect ratio. HD is here now. 4:3 is on its way out.

What are these people thinking?

Thanks for saving me money.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"What are these people thinking?"

Disney is maddeningly inconsistent on these lines. Hot Lead and Cold Feet and The Ugly Dachsund are given beautiful transfers and anamorphic enhancement, meanwhile Third Man on the Mountain is in terrible shape and Darby O'Gill is in dire need of restoration. And so it goes, title for title. You never know what you're going to get from these people. Drives me nuts.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Is this really confirmed to be true yet? I've noticed that sometimes the early published specs say "fullscreen" by default but then it turns out to be OAR. I hope that's the case here.

Any studio that still is doing this in 2005, with the significant increase in widescreen TV sets and HD broadcasts, is just plain out of touch.

TedD

Supporting Actor

Even when they call a release "open matte", Disny has a tendancy to chop a good bit off the sides. Darby O'Gill is a good example of this.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jeez, at least with Columbia you get consistently slapped in the face. :D

I have bought the UK PAL versions of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" and its first sequel just to get the widescreen 16x9 versions, but I don't have a region free player and am trying to convert it to NTSC by computer (eMac, in case you have any advice) and remove that fershlugginer PAL speedup!

To think what Disney is capable of doing on DVD (Bambi) yet to see what they tend to do (some of the live-action catalogue). There are a number of titles I'm torn apart by because I don't know whether they are P&S or Open Matte. I'd settle for the latter, but not the former.

Did anyone here work in a theatre that showed Disney product during the 60s and 70s who can tell me about the ratio?

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
They even have Hayley Mills' name mispelled on the cover of "Summer Magic".....It's not "Haley", it's "Hayley".
They corrected it on "That Darn Cat" cover but not on "Summer Magic" yet. I am very unhappy about the MAR on these releases. Once again Disney screws up on old catalogue releases and they don't care.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The studio management thinks that 99.9% of the live-action back catalogue is nothing but B-grade movies no one has heard of, so they're all lumped in together.

Plus, if some of them need restoration, remember that the studio downsized all its restoration staff and drove away Scott MacQueen, who is now at Pro-Tek.

One thing Iger can do to regain the public trust: re-form the in-house film restoration/preservation department.

Also troubling are the incredible disappearing extras. Freaky Friday '77 was supposed to be a full-fledged SE. The 2 "Shaggy Dog" films had considerable extras on each, but those have been postponed, possibly to debase the discs.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And then there's So Dear to My Heart, which was scheduled for release FOUR YEARS AGO and mysteriously disappeared.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Minus a fair portion of the top and bottom of the image, and still missing left and right side information (unless this is an open matte), but each to his own.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
TOBY TYLER is also scheduled to get the "full screen" treatment.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
If it's like the laserdisc, which I have, and which is also unfortunately full screen, it will be open matte. I would be very surprised to find this is a pan and scan version of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks