What's new

In search of new speakers for my tubes (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I have ASL wave tubes (8 watts / channel) I was thinking of the Axiom M3's I will be going Monday to demo them, I currently am running B&W 303's but was looking for something more efficient. I would like to keep it under $500 CDN after taxes (which doesn't give me amny options!) The axioms are less than $400 after taxes which is awesome! I was thinking of Klipsh SB line, but they may be a little too pricey.

Anything else I should be looking at?

dean_g

Agent
Yes, you should be looking for a pair of used Klipsch Heresy's on eBay. You should also consider a discounted set of Klipsch RB5's. I prefer the RB5's, since I'm pretty much locked into the way 2-ways sound. Heresy's would give you more output however.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen too many used Heresies on eBay for under $500 CDN, maybe they cost less up in Canada. If you're lucky, you might get one for around that. I've owned the ASL Waves for a few months now, and they work very well with my GR Research Paradox 1 bookshelves, but those are a shade outside your budget too. These are only 88dB sensitive, but they have a very flat impedance curve, which helps a lot.
Depending on the size of your room, you should be looking for a speaker that's 88dB or more, preferably quite a bit more. 92dB and up would be a nice sweet spot to be in. Also, you want something that has a flat impedance curve. This is very important, and this information isn't easy to come by, because few manufacturers provide impedance response graphs, or even the minimum impedance (which is what you're really concerned about). For a rough ballpark, I'd say stick with speakers with nominal impedance 8 ohms and minimum impedance greater than 6 ohms.
I'm sorry, I have no advice regarding specific speakers that would meet those criteria in your price range. You could try looking into DIY speakers, if you can build them yourself or have someone build them for you. I know there are some high efficiency tube-friendly designs out there that could come in under your budget.
For instance, try www.pispeakers.com - the One Pi and Two Pi should be within your budget for the kit, and you'll have to get someone to build you the cabinets from the plans. Don't get put off by the fact that they have a ceramic/piezo tweeter, these speakers get a lot of good press on some forums. I haven't heard them though, but some of the bigger Pi's are among the options I'm considering for my next speakers.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I guess I should have added I'm looking for bookshelves. The RB5's would be WAY out of my range they are over $1000 CDN before tax, which WAY too much for that speaker!

I have been looking for 90db or more and 8 ohms, hense the axioms which are something like 92db and 8ohms.

I currently use B&W 303's which I think are 89db. They are fine but I want something different??

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I run the Axiom M3's with the Waves... and I think it is a great combination... I am not into high volume though...

M.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The impedence curve for the axiom M3's can be found here:
Link Removed
It is not flat but doesn't go down lower than 8ohms.
Saurav: Is this an OK curve?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That impedance curve looks pretty good, similar to what my speakers have. My only concern would be sensitivity - the Axiom website says 92dB in-room and 88dB anechoic, and your link says 86. The truth is probably closer to 86 than 92.

Room size will play a big role in the final SPL level you can hit, so I would try really hard to bring the speakers home and test them on the Waves in your room. If you can't do that, try taking your Waves with you to the dealer and hooking them up to these speakers. If you can hear them in a room that's similar to yours, great, if not, try and keep your distance from the speakers similar to what it would be in your room, that's probably the best you can do.

Unless you like to listen to music really loudly, I think you'll be fine.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
The RB5's retail for $1400 CDN. I bought them for $700 CDN. (Did not keep them for non speaker reasons) Pretty good price for high school kid, and they are very smooth detailed speakers. -if you could only stretch your budget another $200!

What about Klipsch SB2's? (Not anywhere close to RB5's, or RF3's) But still a good value. DIY??

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
If I could get the RB5's for $700 I would! I doubt I'll get them for that, but I could try. I doubt I could get the RB3's for that price, they are $1099 everywhere! How did you manage that? Know the owner?

Cam S

Screenwriter
umm, February. I know the owners of the local chain of audio stores, so he give's me cost +5%, can't beat that. Hell the RF-3's are only $680, which I will be getting after I get a digital camera.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
JM Reynaud Twins would be an excellent match with the Wave 8's. They are 90dB and 8 ohms with an easy impendance curve. They are too much new but there is a pair on Audiogon right now for $500 used. Great little speakers, you can find out more about them on Jm-Reynaud Website or over on Audio Asylum there are quite a few owners of them.
Another speaker would be the Loth-X Ion BS-1 at www.lothx.com they are 94dB and 8 ohms with no crossover.
Just some other options I wanted to throw your way which you have probably never heard of. Both prefer tubes, especially the Loth speaker.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Thanks, but I am looking for something in the $500 cdn range so about $300 usd! I know there isn't much unfortunately. I'll check those out anyways.

Larry B

Screenwriter
While I am certainly a believer in differences between amps, I think it is pretty universally agreed that speakers will have a greater impact on the overall sound of the system than will the amp. (Related to this is the fact that the differences between speakers is far greater than those between amps.) As such, most individuals (in fact, the vast majority) choose a speaker with the sonic properties most to their liking, then choose an amp that mates well with those speakers.
You have opted to go the other route by first choosing the amp. While this is certainly your choice (it being a free country and all that... :) ), I suspect that you have a greater chance of achieving the sound you desire by taking the more conventional approach.
Larry

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Well Larry, since I already had the tubes I'm kind of stuck no??

But I think I have the same options, basically I can bring my tubes with me and test out speakers to get the sound I desire. The other way would be to bring the speakers to test amps!

I see no difference! I'm hoping to have a day of fun in teh sun .... err A/C cooled stores on Monday. I will bring my tubes and see what kind of sound I can get from many different speakers. Hopefully I can strike gold for little $$$ :) You never know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks