In search of MP3 software

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott_lb, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I would very much like to transfer my CD collection onto my laptop and/or external 120 GB hard drive. I'm sick of bring a huge wallet of CD's into my car with me to listen to my music (most of my music listening is done while I'm driving or at coffee houses). I plan on buying a new car stereo head unit that plays CD-R's encoded in MP3 format and I therefore need a recommendation for software to build my library of MP3's on my hard drive.

I already have the basic version of Music Match which came with my new Dell laptop. I've loaded about 15 CD's on to it, however, I have not been able to access the songs successfully. Whenever I load up the Music Match program, I see my library of songs (organized by artist) and try to select which one I want to play. For example, if I want to listen to Radiohead, I'll select the appropriate album and then the appropriate song. However, whenever I do so, the computer says that it cannot find the song that I want to play. I can, however, go into the file which contains all of the actual MP3's and select them manually. I don't want to do that because it's a pain and the file is not organized.

The only real requirement that I'm looking for in software is the ability to organize my MP3's into a library and to select the bit rate at which I'd like to encode the songs. I don't need downloadable skins, album covers, recommendations, etc. What might the best solution be?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

3. Dustin Harrison

Dustin Harrison Stunt Coordinator

I'm a big Music Match fan. The upgrade, if you don't already have it, is well worth it. The only down fall to Music Match is there customer support or lack there of.

I think I may know what your problem is Scott.

If you load up a file (song) to play on Music Match, it will remember the file location. If you move the file, then try to play the file straight from Music Match, it will not know where to find it. Did you move any of your files after playing the file?

4. Daniel_S

Daniel_S Agent

ditto

5. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

thanks guys, I'll check the two free ones out first, then maybe I'll give Music Match a try.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

For your MP3 encoding you really want to use something that makes use of the LAME encoding engine.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

There are old threads on this as well. In several of them, I suggested ripping the songs with Exact Audio Copy and encoding with Lame (using VBR, variable bit rate) and I still think that's a great way to go. EAC can do FreeDB searches and make sure the files are named correctly etc.

Of course, that will get the songs to your hard drive with really great sound quality but doesn't address the whole media jukebox thing.

Personally I just store mine in a set of folders on the hard drive, alphabetically.