In search of insight and info on the new Hitachi RPTVs.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_JS, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Keith_JS

Keith_JS Agent

Do you have or have you seen the new Hitachi SWX20B tvs w/ DVI? What are your impressions? Do you recommend them.

2. Ryan Beerski

Ryan Beerski Auditioning

We have just received the 57 inch swx20b and the picture is incredible. It has a nice looking cabinet, and come with 2 remotes, one is a simple remote with just about 6 buttons on it. It has a DVI input and the screen absorbs 60 percent of ambient light, we are displaying it in a well lit area to display this. We are running a the HD dish network demo on it, and the HVSM really sharpens up the picture. If you have any further questions about it just post them to this thread.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Ryan

Can you tell me if the 53UXB10b did the anamorphic squeeze? What about the new generation of 4:3 projectors, do they do the squeeze?

Thank you.

Artie

4. Ryan Beerski

Ryan Beerski Auditioning

I do not believe that the 4:3 models(FDX) have the anamorphic squeeze, but i could be wrong, from what i can see hitachi is mainly targeting the 16:9 market and are only going to have a few 4:3 models.

5. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

do you have any info on the new 43" 16:9 monitor?

I've read conflicting reports as to whether or not this set will have a DVI input. Some press releases indicate that all Hitachi's 16:9 sets will have DVI, others specify the DVI for everyset but the 43" model.

6. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    I saw the 51UWX20B and 51SWX20B on the weekend and I think I'm sold. The SWX is probably out of my price range so I'm going with the UWX. I didn't do anything much to test the unit, just the overall impression I have of unit was quite good on the floor. I'm going to go back in with some reference quality DVDs and some good cables and play with it hopefully this week and if all goes well... I'll have a new TV this weekend [​IMG]
    Peter

7. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Let me throw in a request. I hear a lot more people talking about purchasing the SWX over the UWX. I'm looking into getting the UWX, but convince me why I'd be a fool not to get the SWX if you guys think that's a significantly better set. I don't want to make a larger purchase then regret not spending a bit more.

Thanks!

8. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

I always reccomend the SWX. Hitachi UWX series is on par with the mitz or toshiba, but the swx has a better lens system than any of them. But of course your are going to pay a bit more for it so the choice is yours. I guess it depends on how critical a viewer you are.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

When the new Hitachis came out I was very impressed. But I think a lot of that had to do with it being a new model and a new cabinent. When we popped in Toy story we all sat there in aw, but didn't remember that Toy story looks amazing on all the sets. After a couple weeks of seeing it, I think a lot of my initial impressions had to do with the name brand. When sitting right next to a new Sony, and the New Panny, you can barely tell the difference between the three.

Don't let a name brand or some fancy new slogan for a feature sell you on a TV. Actually give an unbiased opinion towards the picture quality of each set and decide whether a name is worth a 1000 dollars. I'm not saying run out and buy a Broksonic or Apex RPTV (if they even existed), but try and give each picture an unbiased opinion. Oh, and calibrate each one with avia before you do this.

Hitachi also looks good in show rooms because they are so bright, but that doesn't mean better. In the end, like most of the others, it is a very nice TV.