What's new

In praise of After Hours (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I know that 'After Hours' gets some stick due to certain threads that degenerate into bad taste or pointlessness. However, I'd like to praise it a little - it serves a really useful function here on the HTF as a means to get to know each other better and share information/views on things outwith the realm of HTF.

Case in point, and my reason for posting this message, I asked a few questions about homeownership this morning, and I've had an abundance of replies with great information, great views, and great links to more detailed information.

I really appreciate the members of the HTF taking their time to help my wife & I out with our information gathering.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I couldn't agree with you more, BrianB.
I've always thought After Hours served a very useful and productive purpose, even if the posts are off topic of the main subject of the forum.
If nothing else, it gives us a chance to get to know each other a bit better, which I think in most cases leads to an increase in mutual respect.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

I agree, and have always fought hard to keep AH around. However, like most great things, someone always comes along and ruins the fun for everyone else.

We just have to keep AH full of threads like the one you mentioned, and less a stage for people looking for a big audience for nonsense.

-Vince

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of the After Hours forum as well. I realize it's not a "necessary" board to have on a HT-intensive site - but it gives the regulars a nice place to go "off-topic" and it also seems to prove extremely helpful for people dealing with "miscellaneous" issues.

Thanks for keeping it around.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gentlemen,

This is very interesting for me to read --

especially since there have been many occasions

that we have almost shut down that area.

Please understand that there was a time when

90% of all the disruptions of this forum happened

in the AFTER HOURS area.

People just went out of bounds as far as posting

what is considered tasteful, and every day brought

a new problem and an evicted member.

Parker and I have never been fond of the AH area,

but as of late, it has been quiet.

As long as people respect that area and each

other we don't see any reason to get rid of it.

Thanks

Ike

Screenwriter
I never really cared for After Hours, until I started hanging out there. It's just a great place for everything non-HT related, and I couldn't imagine closing it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For a forum of this size, I think a section like the After Hours is needed. Could you imagine where those posts would end up if there was no section like that. There would be a lot more nonsense and venting in the other dedicated HT sections.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The only reason that Ron and I started up the After Hours area (we used to call it the After Hours Lounge) was so people could discuss other things besides their home theaters, equipment, etc. So when things like the Super Bowl, World Series, etc. came up members could discuss those things in a specific area instead of in the general posting areas.

After Hours has since then become something in and of itself. I find that it really adds to the overall feeling around here that we are more than just a group of home theater fans. Many friendships have started and grown due to After Hours.

As long as the posting in this area remains civil we will keep this area open. It is when it gets out of control that the first thought that Ron and I have is to close it down.

Thanks to the hard work of our moderators and the efforts put down by our membership to keep this area under control After Hours has become a valuable addition to HTF.

Parker

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I also like the After Hours section; I think it benefits HTF overall, by helping members get to know each other in a little broader context, as well as providing some fun and occaisionally solid information (as seen in my recent question about non-prescription drugs).
Huzzah for the AHL! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks