In or On-ceiling Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FrantzM, Mar 13, 2003.

1. FrantzM

FrantzM Stunt Coordinator

Hi List

I have an interesting situation of a customer who does not want to see any speakers in his system but needs Ultra high quality sound (read High End). I have heard one great on-ceiling speakers that is Extremely High Quality it is the Thiel Power Point it cost $1300 a piece and is above my customer price point.
    DO any of you have experience with great on-ceiling or in-ceiling speakers that could match the Thiel at let's say half or a third the price. I know Sonance make some in-ceiling with a particular aim toward the listening area these but are they any good? Your opinions are much needed

THank you in advance

Frantz

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Frantz,

Have you heard the Powerpoints? I wouldn't install them in any system. Triad makes several solutions that would do an outstanding job. They are no less expensive than Thiel and many models are quite a bit more. You need to make your customer understand that if he wants very high performance in an inceiling speaker he must be willing to pay the price for the parts that it will take to do the job properly. Good luck.

3. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at Paradigm & JBL (I have some for surrounds) and Pinnacle. There are quite a few other brands out there but I don't know anything about them.

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Frantz,

I was about to tell you that I heard some JBL in-ceiling speakers that sounded terrific when I saw Rob's post. They were his speakers! I thought they did a great job with the rear channels and surround channels in his 7.1 set-up. We demo'd a bunch of movies, but The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" sticks out in my head as one that made the in-ceilings shine.

Ralph

5. Brad Wood

Brad Wood Stunt Coordinator

Frantz,
    Check out Tannoy. They have some great ceiling speakers. The CMS6 uses the same concentric driver that they use in their studio monitors and it sounds great. The only drawback is that to get the bass extension that they have, they use a very deep back can so it's not always practical in some situations.

Brad Woodhouse

6. FrantzM

FrantzM Stunt Coordinator

Thank you very much guys

I have heard the PowerPoint and they are the only on or in-ceilling speakersthat are that good, easily as good as many Free-standing high-end speakers (no bass though. Not only are they uncolored but they allow such a large listening area. They are not cheap and there lies the problem. I will look at Paradigm and Tannoy. I do not know Triad. but anything that radiates perpendicular to the floor or that has pivoting tweeters is out of the question...

It looks mre and more like Thiele plus some good subs...

Thanks

Frantz