in need of speaker wire help

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris_harpua, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Chris_harpua

Chris_harpua Agent

i just bought an Onkyo ht-s760 and i have to run the surround wires along the crotch of the ceiling and wall because i have wall to wall carpeting and cant tear it up, landlord wouldnt like it too much.
    my question is, what is the best way to attach these cables to the wall so they look neat and will be securely fastened to the wall so i wont have to worry about them falling down. i dont really know what to look for, i know 3M makes a wire clip that sticks to the wall but dont know where to find them and dont know if theres something better out there. i dont have a ton of cash to do this, hoping to spend less than $15 for this. i need to run the wires about 30 - 35 feet. any help would be appreciated. thanks [​IMG]

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Radio Shack carries a bunch of different styles of 'Wire Management' products:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...8%5F003&Page=1

anything from stick on to nail up. You could also go to Home Depot and get some plastic wire conduit that sticks on to the wall, although the 5 or 6 foot pieces are probably around 3 bucks a piece.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

What is wrong with just lying the wire along the base-board and running along the floor? You dont need to 'hide' it under the carpet or behind the molding (and running it up the wall will make it extra-visible).

4. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

I purchased a plastic wire cover that adheres to the wall from RONA which is paintable so you can blend it in with your wall. It came in 5ft lengths I believe and you can cut it to the length you wanted. I cannot remember the price but it wasn't too expensive. It also could be set into 90 degree angles so you can around door frames, base boards etc. etc.

Hope that helps

cheers.

Travis.

5. Chris_harpua

Chris_harpua Agent

i actually borrowed my friend's electricians fish tape, im gonna run it under the carpeting directly across the room. i couldnt run it around the room because there are 2 open ends of the room and people would trip over it. thanks for the advice tho.

6. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Since you are going to all that effort, replace the wire with some heavier gauge wire from Hoe Depot or Radio shack. The stuff that comes with that Onkyo is lousy. That was the first thing I replaced and it really helped.

Don't forget to calibrate. It really brings things out. And when you do the set-up, the distances for the speakers are in meters. Just remember to covert it. If you need help with that let me know, or just google it. I am having a great time with my set-up and I can believe how good it sounds for the price. Of course, I have never compared it to a real set-up in somebody's house. My friends have really low-end HTiB's or >groan< bose cubes.