In need of help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kevin*H, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Kevin*H

Kevin*H Stunt Coordinator

Just received a JVC home theater in a box and am not getting any sound out of it! Could anybody help.
    My satellite receiver, DVD & VCR are connected on the video
    side direct to my TV. On the audio side the DVD and VCR are connected by audio cables to the AV Receiver and my Satellite is connected with an Optical cable, I have connected my TV to the AV Receiver with an audio cable
    I am waiting on a digital coax cable for the DVD/AV Receiver connection. When I use the option to use the sound from the TV as the center speaker again I get no sound.
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Have you double checked your setups in the dvd player and receiver. You have to assign the inputs for whatever type input you're using (analog or digital). If you are connecting tv for OTA broadcasts, you may need to use a different input (besides DBS/TV), for the satellite. Unless your tv has an input made for using the tv as center speaker, I wouldn't do that. Too much, other than dialog, will be coming out of it, including bass. I think that would kinda ruin the surround effect, myself. But, you may like it.

Most dvd players ship with the dts feature turned off. You'll need to go into dvd player's setup menus, and set the digital outputs to bitstream, not pcm. Should be set to that for Dolby Digital also. While you are waiting for digital coax cable, you can use a regular audio rca cable, for the digital output on dvd player. But change it out when new cable comes. It will work though.

Usually, when there's no sound, on a new system, it's because something was missed in the setups. Like I said........go back through the setups slowly, step by step, and you'll probably find the problem............

BTW...........
    It will take extra cables, but may be easier for you to switch between sources, to run your video for each, through the receiver too.
    Good luck! Keep us posted...........

3. Kevin*H

Thanks for your post it was as you said the setup side of things that was causing the trouble. I have now got surround sound from my dvd!. The home theater manual says it can be connected to a CD player, VCR and DVD no mention of Satellite receiver, can I hook up the satellite using the digital 2 input (optical) and assign it as a cd player?
    My TV does have an input to make it the center channel but I think I won't go down that route.
    I am going to upgrade my home theater bit by bit, get better speakers and then a new av receiver. Would this be a good way to go?
    1. Celestion F series center speaker
    2. Celestion F series front speakers
    3. Celestion F series surround speakers
    4. JVC RX-8030VBK receiver
    5. Celestion F series subwoofer

4. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Not familiar with the speakers, but am familiar with JVC ..........
    I have the JVC RX8020VBK myself. The 8030 is a great choice. A lot of bang for the buck. If you like the way the speakers sound, go with them.

Yes, you should be able to do as you asked, with the satellite. If you watch satellite, more than reg. tv, I'd use the DBS/TV digital input for the sat., and use the tv in analog input of something else. I hardly ever watch reg, tv anymore. With the sat, even reg. programming can be watched with PL II sound.

Since the sat receiver and dvd player both have s-video (right?), I'd run the s-video cable from the output of each, to the s-video input for each on the receiver, then an s-video cable out from receiver (monitor out) to tv (video 1) input. This way, you can change from dvd to sat, with just the push of a button.

What dvd player do you have? Are you interested in the dvd-a and sacd, Hi Resolution 5.1 surround music? If you've not heard it........ it's awesome! Your receiver has the inputs for the player. The cheapest universal player right now is the Pioneer DV 563A. I have one and I love it. You can get one at Best Buy or Circuit City, for about $170-$180. Worth every penny.......... Also has a very good picture. Think about it...........

Good luck, and enjoy the surround sound! Keep us posted on how everything works out.
    BTW............where are you located? NC here.

5. Kevin*H

Thanks for your suggestions, I will be able to put them to use when I get the JVC RX8030VBK as the JVC receiver that comes with the package does not have S-Video inputs. I was going to just get the 8030 and a couple of front speakers and use the tv as a center speaker the gradually acquire more speakers but decided to get the HTIB and evolve from that and give the HTIB to my brother in-law. As a newbie my
    wife and I assumed that everything coming out of our TV would be in surround sound, we are amazed at the sound we are getting from the little speakers and are overall happy with it, we watch a lot of movies and this has enhanced the viewing of them. We have a JVC XV-N44SL DVD player which I assume would not be suitable as it has not got any preout jacks which I think you need for sacd. We are from Texas by the way.

6. Ed Moxley

Ed
    LOL..............a world of difference with surround, huh?

The JVC player is fine for movies. But it's not for dvd-a or sacd playback. If you do eventually get a universal player, I'd keep the JVC for a backup. Or, if you don't have one, you can hook it up and use it as a cd player.

Have you ordered the 8030 yet? If not, you may want to see this.
    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=625968
    It's a factory refurbished unit. Should be as good, or even better than a new one (problem has been fixed). As you can see by the price of this one............it can save you a bunch of money, which you can put toward the speakers or the universal player. Just a thought.......

My 8020 has a switch on the back, so I can use either 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. I use 4 ohm. A lot of the higher end speakers are 4 ohm. I'm not sure if the 8030 does or not. It doesn't mention it in the list of features. If it does have it, then you can get any speaker you like, and not worry if the receiver can handle them.

Once again, good luck and welcome to the world of HT! Let me know when you get your receiver, and what you think of it. If this thread is old enough to be on pages, out of sight, send me a PM about it. Looking forward to your review................ [​IMG]