What's new

In need of antenna help (1 Viewer)

jeffMAC

Auditioning
When I moved into my place 3years ago my cable was hooked up but it wasn't supposed to be. They finally cut it off a couple months ago. I can't bring myself to pay for cable, it goes against my principles. I would rather pay a bunch of money and get a decent antenna eventually HDTV.

I tried antennaweb to find some information I need, but alas I live in Canada and antennaweb is only for the U.S., I think so anyway.
Does anyone know Where I can find info?
I live in Vancouver B.C. a couple hundred miles from Seattle. Would I be able to receive signals from Washington?

I have a cheap indoor power antenna hooked up right now.
I can pick up 10 channels, but only 3or4 of them are watchable

I am in search of every possible solution even if it creates more problems, like I imagine it will.:alien:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only chance you have of that is if you use the biggest roof-mounted antenna Radio Shack sells, and even then it might be “iffy.”

Aren’t there any TV stations in Vancouver?

Cheers,
Wayne

jeffMAC

Auditioning
I was wondering if I was close to a certain zipcode in Washington that antennaweb would tell me which antenna I should use because antennaweb doesn't cover Canada. I was referred antennaweb to determin what kind of antenna would work
Yup we got t.v. stations here:crazy:

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
According to mapquest, Point Roberts, WA 98281 is about as close to Vancover as you can get in the US.

So I typed 98281 in antennaweb.org and got the following

Antenna Type ChannelNetwork Location Compass Miles

yellow - uhf KBCB-DT19.1 IND BELLINGHAM,WA 136° 23.5
lt green - vhf KVOS12 IND BELLINGHAM,WA135° 23.9
blue - uhf KVOS-DT12.1 IND BELLINGHAM,WA135° 23.9
blue - uhf KBCB24 IND BELLINGHAM,WA136° 23.5
violet - uhf KONG16 IND EVERETT,WA141° 99.2
violet - uhf KTBW20 TBN TACOMA,WA154° 100.4
violet - vhf KOMO4 ABC SEATTLE,WA141° 99.2
violet - vhf KCPQ13 FOX TACOMA,WA154° 100.2
violet - uhf K62FS62 UPN PORT TOWNSEND 155° 67.5

It seems to me the lt green antenna would get the stations in Vancouver and the first two in this list (unless you are north of Vancouver). If you want the Everett, Seattle and Tacoma stations it looks like you need a powerful directional antenna which you'll have to aim at the stations you want.

jeffMAC

Auditioning
CableCompany ain't keeping this brother down John:crazy:

Anyway,Thanks for your help everyone I had no idea on how or where to look for answers concerning antennas, now I do.
but first I'm going to write a letter to cable Company to tell them how much grief they caused me when they cut me off :angry: no I'm not:crazy:

Heinz W

Second Unit

This is the best answer given here so far. I bought that very antenna at RS with all the necessary extras for less than $180 US. I installed it myself and now I get all but 1 of the major digital channels. I live about 40 miles from the towers with a moderate amount of trees and uneven terrain.

Since you live so far away I would strongly suggest enhancing it with an inline signal amplifier, about $40 US, also at Radio Shack. This is assuming you don't have a lot of trees or tall buildings closeby. If you do, or you're just plain too far away satellite may be your only option.

Digital OTA signals are believed to be receivable at further distances than their analog counterparts so with the above listed equipment you may be able to get it, but then again you may not. I would do more local research first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks