What's new

In Need Of A Plan (1 Viewer)

David-A

Auditioning
Ok, Last night, I biwired my new Polk RTi70 speakers and there was a definite improvement. I am using Radio Shack 14 ga. megacable for the lower frequency and Monster 16 ga. cable for the higher frequencies. I don't want to get into a discussion of whether the improvement is because the high/low frequencies are separated or because of the larger wire diameter, although I believe it to be the latter. Two months ago, I had a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX receiver with a Polk RM6500 satellite speaker system. My system now is comprised of:

Receiver - Pioneer Elite VXS-53TX
Fronts - Polk RTi70 (biwired)
Center - CSi30
L/R Surrounds - Polk RM2300 (satellites from RM6500 system)
Rear Surround - Polk RM2600 (center from RM6500 system)
Sub - Polk 100 watt, 8" sub (from RM6500 system)

From those WITH experience, what should my next upgrade and the subsequent ones be? What is the most logical? What will give me the most bang for the buck?

David-A

Auditioning
Ok, Last night, I biwired my new Polk RTi70 speakers and there was a definite improvement. I am using Radio Shack 14 ga. megacable for the lower frequency and Monster 16 ga. cable for the higher frequencies. I don't want to get into a discussion of whether the improvement is because the high/low frequencies are separated or because of the larger wire diameter, although I believe it to be the latter. Two months ago, I had a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX receiver with a Polk RM6500 satellite speaker system. My system now is comprised of:

Receiver - Pioneer Elite VXS-53TX
Fronts - Polk RTi70 (biwired)
Center - Polk CSi30
L/R Surrounds - Polk RM2300 (satellites from RM6500 system)
Rear Surround - Polk RM2600 (center from RM6500 system)
Sub - Polk 100 watt, 8" sub (from RM6500 system)

From those WITH experience, what should my next upgrade and the subsequent ones be? What is the most logical? What will give me the most bang for the buck?

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest bang for your buck will be to upgrade the subwoofer(pun intended). Then, the surrounds. What are your room dimensions?

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be interested in the difference you heard. For next upgrade, looks like a SVS or similar sub, would bring you allot of satisfaction, over an 8" Polk. Get a a good 12" or 15" sub with a decent amp to drive it.

JohnS

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m with John – ditch the Polk sub! Also, if you saw an improvement with bi-wiring the L/R speakers, you might want to bi-wire the center, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David-A

Auditioning
The difference I heard was improved bass definition from the RTi70's. Again, I think it's from having the 14 ga. wire AND the 16 ga. wire as opposed to previously having only the 16 ga. wire connected to them.

I assumed that the sub would be the next logical step. And no matter what forum I read, the SVS subs seem to be the subs of choice. A problem is that I live in an apartment :frowning:

The rear and L/R surrounds seem to be adequate. As the bottom end of the frequency range is 100Hz on the RM2300's, I have the x-over on the receiver set at 100Hz and that seems to work fine.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
How about some Bass Shakers and amp for your main viewing chair and couch? Otherwise, focus on calibration, speaker placement, and accoustics in the room. Try to reduce the early reflections from the front three speakers.

JohnS

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
A sub would be your best bet. Then in a few years get a pre/pro and mutli-channel amp. Then a few more years get some reference quality speakers. Depending on your display device you could upgrade that somewhere in the middle.

In some ways this is the path I am taking. Whatever you do make sure not buy a place holder (something you buy and plan to upgrade sooner than later). I made this mistake and it can be costly.

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
Only one problem re: a new sub...I'm an apartment dweller
Then maybe you could wait on the sub and upgrade the surrounds. Maybe some RTi28s or FXi30s if you prefer dipole/bipole speakers. Or a combination of the two, FXi for the sides and RTi for the rear. Then again, if you feel your current surrounds are adequate, maybe upgrade one of your video components. Hell, you may want to just call it a day and enjoy what you have. Yeah right!:D

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I live in an apartment also with people above, below, and to one side of me and I have 2 Def Tech supercube 1's. Somehow my neighbors have never complained but I think the units may be seperated by concrete.

Holding off on a new sub might be best then, are thier any parts of your system that you feel could be better, might be a place to start. Or just save up for awhile to make a major change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks