What's new

In-n-Out best burger in LA (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
They raised the price of the Double Double to $3.70 but it's still a great burger. I'd love to try a 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 one day, I've only seen one person have a 4 x 4.
Since California minimum wage is $10/hour and rising (and a ton of their stores are in CA) I can understand them raising their prices. In fact, it's still one of the best "price per quality" offerings out here. Sure you can get $.99 chicken nuggets somewhere, but it's gonna taste like you ate 99 pennies.

Didn't like In N Out. Our favorite is 5 Guys.
Interesting, in West LA where I live and work, In-N-Out has been a popular mainstay since the late 90s when one opened up here. Lines at all hours. Then a few years ago a 5 guys opened up and was supposed to be the In-N-Out killer, or at minimum competition to keep them honest. There were lines for the first few months but now it's a ghost storefront. I'm not sure how they stay open.
5 Guys always leaves me ambivalent: good burgers, lousy fries.
And I think primarily it's this reason (for my above reply). The fries were soggy and oily, and the fact that they serve it in a bag which quickly becomes an oil rag, similar to what you see in mechanics' shop, doesn't play well in health-conscious California/Los Angeles. Their burgers were fine, certainly better than fast chains like Mickey D, BK, Jack in the Box, etc. But nowhere near the quality to unseat In-N-Out around these parts, or even to provide sustained competition.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Five Guys around here serve the fries in wax paper cups (same as for drinks).
I wonder if that's new? We've got so many good burger places, I haven't been to 5Guys in a while. But the last time it was bag full of soggy fries.

We've now got a Plan B in my neighborhood, which is a sit-down burger place. And it's about the best cheeseburger I've had at a restaurant.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if that's new? We've got so many good burger places, I haven't been to 5Guys in a while. But the last time it was bag full of soggy fries.

We've now got a Plan B in my neighborhood, which is a sit-down burger place. And it's about the best cheeseburger I've had at a restaurant.
Haha a new burger-themed restaurant that's awesome opened up near me and it's called Plan Check. Plan B is the name of a local strip club. :laugh:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm a former Midwesterner now in the southeast.
Love culverts and visited in and out many times in Tucson and Phoenix. Love it and it's my personal favorite.

Didn't care for five guys when I tried it. Miss culvers here.
I know in and out won't be coming to Georgia which is sad.
I think Dallas is the closest one.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Since California minimum wage is $10/hour and rising (and a ton of their stores are in CA) I can understand them raising their prices. In fact, it's still one of the best "price per quality" offerings out here. Sure you can get $.99 chicken nuggets somewhere, but it's gonna taste like you ate 99 pennies.
True and other places have more expensive burgers, like Jack in the Box, but In-N-Out's taste better. They're still worth the price.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Very good burgers. Inferior fries. Excellent frozen custard. It's in our burger rotation :)

The boy and I tried it out. Wow! The fries and onion rings were fine, but next time we'll skip those to save room for the custard. They brought around little free samples, but we were way too full to actually order dessert.

My neighbor says that The Habit is better. Next up. . .

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm a former Midwesterner now in the southeast.
Love culverts and visited in and out many times in Tucson and Phoenix. Love it and it's my personal favorite.

Didn't care for five guys when I tried it. Miss culvers here.
I know in and out won't be coming to Georgia which is sad.
I think Dallas is the closest one.

Carolina's
I haven't made it to In-and-Out.

BurgerFi was OK
I do like Five Guys burgers better, but it seems pretty dependent of which store.
Whataburger -- good shakes, but i was disappointed in the burger other than the size
Cook-out -- regional now, but they're OK. A lot of folks around her rave over them
Culvers I keep hearing about so at some point I'll run across one.

Somewhat surprising -- I've had some Wendy's and even Jack in a Box at times that were great, but it's just so inconsistent whether
it;s very good or just OK even at the same restaurant. My local Wendy's is consistently very good, but rarely great

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The boy and I tried it out. Wow! The fries and onion rings were fine, but next time we'll skip those to save room for the custard. They brought around little free samples, but we were way too full to actually order dessert.

My neighbor says that The Habit is better. Next up. . .
I prefer BurgerFi to the Habit, but to each their own.

BurgerFi was OK
I do like Five Guys burgers better,
That's just crazy talk! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Which is why I give in n out props. I've eaten at dozens of them up and down California, hundreds of miles apart and they are all within a 5% tolerance ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Not if you ate at my affiliate. The problem with so many of these discussions in the store to store if not week to week intrastore variations.

I think that was for the "Five Guys is better than BurgerFi" part. Five Guys is good, but BurgerFi is a higher class of place.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think that was for the "Five Guys is better than BurgerFi" part. Five Guys is good, but BurgerFi is a higher class of place.

Certainly possible overall, but my sample size of one Burgefi just wasn't very good. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't very memorable. Possible a higher class though I don't remember mine being much better than Five Guys, but the burger was distinctly average. I'll be more than happy to give BurgerFi (or at least a different store) another chance if I run across another,

I had a surprisingly good burger from Steak and Shake tonight -- tasty bacon, juicy and nicely textured meat, excellent bun, even nice crisp lettuce and tomato. I only get near one a couple times a year, but this tine was a winner

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Steak & Shake is *ridiculously* good for the price. You can get a halfway decent burger with fries for $4!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really like Steak & Shake's turkey club sandwich. I get that when I'm in Indy and need an easy meal.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Best burger joint near me is Culvers. The "Butterburger" is phenomenal.
img-marquee-welcome.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks