What's new

In months time... It'll be the 80th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor event... (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can the Spielberg obsessors be taken to another thread. This is about Pearl Harbor not Empire Of the Sun or whatever other war failure films he’s made.
I don't see you saying anything about Pearl Harbor! However, why pass up another an opportunity to crap on Spielberg when given the chance to do so.:)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've just noticed the header...In Months Time, does that make any sense? This December, would be better. Anyway, there's bound to be some good programs on the various History channels.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I don't see you saying anything about Pearl Harbor! However, why pass up another an opportunity to crap on Spielberg when given the chance to do so.:)
The best Pearl Harbor film is From Hear to Eternity and Sony should have included it in Columbia Vol 2 but hopefully we get a stand alone release. It deserves it.
And just because I didn’t post anything doesn’t mean I’m not reading the thread and yes that includes all the extraneous crap re you know who. Can’t wait for his next war movie between the Jets and the Bruces! :P

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The best Pearl Harbor film is From Hear to Eternity and Sony should have included it in Columbia Vol 2 but hopefully we get a stand alone release. It deserves it.
And just because I didn’t post anything doesn’t mean I’m not reading the thread and yes that includes all the extraneous crap re you know who. Can’t wait for his next war movie between the Jets and the Bruces! :P
Since the attack on Pearl Harbor ends From Here To Eternity and the bulk of the film concentrates on two romances (Lancaster & Kerr, Clift & Reed) as well as military brutality (Sinatra's beatings, Clift's abuse), Pearl Harbor is merely a backdrop. It's like calling Gone With The Wind the best film about the Civil War when its merely a backdrop to the Rhett and Scarlet romance. It's not really about the Civil War.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Since the attack on Pearl Harbor ends From Here To Eternity and the bulk of the film concentrates on two romances (Lancaster & Kerr, Clift & Reed) as well as military brutality (Sinatra's beatings, Clift's abuse), Pearl Harbor is merely a backdrop. It's like calling Gone With The Wind the best film about the Civil War when its merely a backdrop to the Rhett and Scarlet romance. It's not really about the Civil War.
Agreed. It’s a great film, but the Pearl Harbor attack is not the foundation of the story.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Can the Spielberg obsessors be taken to another thread. This is about Pearl Harbor not Empire Of the Sun or whatever other war failure films he’s made.
If someone had brought up the virtues of "1941" I'd agree with you! ;)

Agreed. It’s a great film, but the Pearl Harbor attack is not the foundation of the story.
I disagree. A movie set on a Hawaiian Army base in November/December 1941, made 12 years after the event, the audience would definitely have the attack on their mind. Throughout the movie there are calendars in the scenery, and they casually drop a date, letting the audience know how much time is left before the date of infamy. It's a Pearl Harbor movie.

We're almost 20 years from 9/11, and it's still a raw memory for me.
If you went into a movie cold about the lives and loves of people in lower Manhattan set in early September 2001, would a certain event not be on your mind while watching?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree. A movie set on a Hawaiian Army base in November/December 1941, made 12 years after the event, the audience would definitely have the attack on their mind. Throughout the movie there are calendars in the scenery, and they casually drop a date, letting the audience know how much time is left before the date of infamy. It's a Pearl Harbor movie.

We're almost 20 years from 9/11, and it's still a raw memory for me.
If you went into a movie cold about the lives and loves of people in lower Manhattan set in early September 2001, would a certain event not be on your mind while watching?
I disagree with you, the Pearl Harbor attack is not the main focus of the movie. Sure, we all know the attack is coming because of the film's setting in time. However, the movie's focus is not the brilliantly staged "action" sequences during the attack, but the film's main four characters and their internal motivations "before" and "after" the attack.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I disagree with you, the Pearl Harbor attack is not the main focus of the movie. Sure, we all know the attack is coming because of the film's setting in time. However, the movie's focus is not the brilliantly staged "action" sequences during the attack, but the film's main four characters and their internal motivations "before" and "after" the attack.
I don’t think you can tell the story of Pearl Harbor without acknowledging where America was before it.
There was a strong isolationist segment that didn’t want to get involved. To many Americans, the was a war in Europe, but they just went on with their lives.
What’s the movie about? A loveless marriage. Whose going to be on the boxing team? When are they getting a liberty pass?
They’re totally oblivious to what’s coming.
Whether or not it’s a “Pearl Harbor move”, I hope we agree that it’s a wonderful film, and light years away from anything Michael Bay could put out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t think you can tell the story of Pearl Harbor without acknowledging where America was before it.
There was a strong isolationist segment that didn’t want to get involved. To many Americans, the was a war in Europe, but they just went on with their lives.

What’s the movie about? A loveless marriage. Whose going to be on the boxing team? When are they getting a liberty pass?
They’re totally oblivious to what’s coming.
Whether or not it’s a “Pearl Harbor move”, I hope we agree that it’s a wonderful film, and light years away from anything Michael Bay could put out.
Again, that isn't the main focus of "From Here to Eternity"!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Again, that isn't the main focus of the movie!
I haven't seen Pearl Harbor since the day it opened in theaters but aren't all of the characters involved with the military? Some Americans might have still been pretending that Hitler wasn't a threat to America even by 1941 but I have to imagine that everyone in the military knew that, like or not, the U.S. was going to have to get involved.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't seen Pearl Harbor since the day it opened in theaters but aren't all of the characters involved with the military? Some Americans might have still been pretending that Hitler wasn't a threat to America even by 1941 but I have to imagine that everyone in the military knew that, like or not, the U.S. was going to have to get involved.
We're talking about "From Here to Eternity"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks